Help required identifying my Opa's uniform cloth insignia

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Willy K.

Help required identifying my Opa's uniform cloth insignia

Post by Willy K. »

Hi, I'm new to this group and joined recently in the hopes that someone could help me identifying my Opa's uniform cloth insignia. To my knowledge he served in the German Navy somewhere in Greece during the time this photo was taken. Judging by the burns on his face and his singed off right eyebrow he was injured in some kind of fire or explosion. I don't think he was an officer but who knows? My father who was also a German soldier in WW2 has passed on too so I can't ask him family history questions anymore. In the extremely remote chance that someone has a record of him my Opa's name was Wilhelm Theodore Kruger and was from Hamburg. The picture in question is posted here:

http://williamkrueger.fotopic.net/p7896202.html

Thank You.

Willy K.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Sorry, Willy but the link doesn't work.
Willy K.

Post by Willy K. »

Are you sure? I just tested it and it was working for me.

Willy
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

It's just a normal shirt and a breast eagle insignia on it's right side - like thousands of sailors in the Kriegsmarine had. Sorry, I can't tell you anything special about it.

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

From the photograph, it seems that he is a rating, as the shoulder straps are not those usually worn by senior ratings or officers. The term 'rating' describes those ranks below a Petty Officer; the term 'senior rating' includes Petty Officers, Chief Petty Officers, and Warrant Officers.