A Thought--Watch Out, it may be Dangerous!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Commissar D, the Evil

A Thought--Watch Out, it may be Dangerous!

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Greetings Comrades, Party Members and Fascist Aggressors!

I propose that we start two seperate story lines. One should be as serious as possible and follow the career of a German soldier in World War II and his adventures. It should focus on the humanity of the soldier, his feelings, experiences, courage and comradeship. :idea:

The second seperate story should be our regular episodes of the Forum Heroes, strictly for laughs and the recycling of old jokes.

So, if you have any suggestions for Project One, the serious story, I'd be mighty pleased to hear them.

Best Regards, Commissar D :D
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
D.W.
Enthusiast

Post by D.W. »

I have a suggestion. For your serious storyline why not do a story on Corporal Niewig, who allegedly broke out of the Kessel and made it to German lines on March 3rd? He allegedly surrendered and was taken to Kharkov, where he escaped and was picked up by the 2nd SS Das Reich.

His tale of suffering would be a daunting challenge for the imaginative prowess of the Forum Heroes.

Here is link to the story:

http://216.198.255.120/germanpart/niewig.htm
Commissar D, the Evil

But

But D.W., there is already a story there! Besides, I never really bought into the idea of this really happening. It sounds too Apocryphal. But there were men who walked hundreds of kilometers after the huge encirclement of Bagration in central Russia or from the encirclement of Army Group South Ukraine through Rumania and made it. Now that's a story with a happier ending. What do you think? Best Regards, David
D.W.
Enthusiast

Post by D.W. »

I have always put the Corporal Niewig story beside the sniper duel in Stalingrad (although the story of Niewig is possible. Out of all those thousands desperate to escape some may have that no one has ever verified)

I like the idea of escaping from the encirclement of Bagration
May I suggest the odyssey of Corporal Johannes Diercks? His 49 day trek to German lines started on June 27th and ended on August 14th. Refer to page 511 of Paul Carell's Scorched Earth for more information.
This would be an interesting story.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

There was a German movie that was recently here in SF (that I missed) that was about a German soldier at the end of WWII and his trek homeward across the Soviet Union. The film was called "So weit Fuesse tragen (As Far as my Feet Will Take Me). The story is about Oberleutnant Clemens Forell who, as a Soviet POW in 1949, escapes and literally walks back to Germany, via Iran, arriving in December of 1952! I have heard that it was a very, very good film.
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi

Hi Jasin, I've heard of that story, I think there may even be a book out about it. Any ideas for Project One are helpful and the idea of a German soldier escaping the hunting Soviets does have a lot of merit. Another thought is the story of a Luftwaffe pilot flying Nachtejager against enemy bombers. Best Regards, David
Paul_PJ

If you're looking for some similarity to real life then ...

Post by Paul_PJ »

Let's do Claus Schenk Graf v. Stauffenberg OR Michael Wittman ...

They are not "happy endings" ... but if you want bravery and intelligence then they may be ideal. Or take Otto Skorzeny.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

There you go, run with Skorzeny! Maybe not a happy ending, per se, but the story can run past 1945.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Wolfkin
Associate

Ah ha! My old formidable foe, Commissar Davidov!

Post by Wolfkin »

Do you mean for your first story, a tale that tracks a personality of one of the Forum Heroes?

Do we create a new character, use an existing one or a real person from actual history?

Hmmmm...I think it would be cool for us to create one or use an existing one. How about the story of Commissar Davidov?

Hmmmm...ideas, ideas...I am sure we all will have an :idea: very soon!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi Guys

Hey Wolfkin, I'm open to any suggestion and any contirbution in terms of a story will be quite appreciated. Hey, we have an entire section to our creative devices!
There's no harm in two or thre story lines, or even four or five.
In my humble opinion while I don't like working with actual historical figures, ther is probably room for a thread in which we look at a particular person--Skorzeny as an example, and compile factual biographical information. Sort of a "Muncheberg" type thread. I wouldn't like to mix the historical with the factual though, I mean, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a story about Skorzeny landing in Washington DC to kidnap President Roosevelt. But, I can be persuaded otherwise, particularly if someone submits a good well-written story along those lines.
So folks, keep those ideas coming.
Best regards, David
Paul_PJ

Re: Hi Guys

Post by Paul_PJ »

David ... can you please have a look at the Supermen and tell me if that's OK?

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Hey Wolfkin, I'm open to any suggestion and any contirbution in terms of a story will be quite appreciated. Hey, we have an entire section to our creative devices!
There's no harm in two or thre story lines, or even four or five.
In my humble opinion while I don't like working with actual historical figures, ther is probably room for a thread in which we look at a particular person--Skorzeny as an example, and compile factual biographical information. Sort of a "Muncheberg" type thread. I wouldn't like to mix the historical with the factual though, I mean, I'm not thrilled with the idea of a story about Skorzeny landing in Washington DC to kidnap President Roosevelt. But, I can be persuaded otherwise, particularly if someone submits a good well-written story along those lines.
So folks, keep those ideas coming.
Best regards, David
Commissar D, the Evil

Excellent !!

Excellent Paul!! I like it, real nice opening scene! See, I told you I could be persuaded!! All is theory until someone submits a story and "Supermen (almost)" is a very fine start!!! Very Best Regards, David
Paul_PJ

One more David

Post by Paul_PJ »

That's called Stalin's Organ - The Mission.

Is that sort of a story-line OK?
Commissar D, the Evil

Hah Hah!

Hey Paul, you're two for two--that's funnny,now that's in the fine tradition of the Forum Heroes-Nothings Sacred! So you've started two story lines, one an adventure, the other satire--most excellent, now, if we can only get others to contribute and keep it going, we're in business.

SO COME ON GUYS, LET'S SHOW THE FORUM SOME GOOD WRITING!!!
Best Regards, David :D
xavier
Contributor

supermen

Post by xavier »

hello David and dw and PJ

see my post on the supermen tread.....we can do a last days and post (like indochina) tread..!! with lots of former last days of the reich WSS actions..like hidden treausre, trips to south america and the like

regards
Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero