Best ww2 1st person game so far

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

Best ww2 1st person game so far

Post by Sebastian Pye »

Its called Red Orchestra, a very very good modification (totalconversion) for Unreal Tournament 2004. Meaning that you need UT 2004 first

http://redorchestramod.gameservers.net/

Its only on the eastern front.

The sound is just excellent(best Ive heard in a game so far), all weapons use ironsights instead of crosshairs, overall they've tried to make it very realistic.
Cool details include historical backgrounds for the maps, so that you actually belong to the units that fought there.

Maps include Königsberg, Warzaw, Moscow (outside), Berlin, Kaukasus and many others

There are still things that bother me a bit, the pinpoint accuracy of the rifles for example makes it too much of a snipers heaven while the automatic weapons are less useful, but its still in its infancy so hopefully it will be improved.

Im not part of the developers, I just love this game and Im grateful for a ww2-game that doesnt feature americans for once. No offense but if I hear the word normandy one more time in a game I'll scream. After all we all know that the future of the world was decided in the east, in russia.
billmichelson

Post by billmichelson »

I've heard about this one. Although after trying both I rather prefer Call of Duty - It has American-German, British-German, and Russian-German campaigns and features a vast variety of weaponry.

I may add that it is a first person shooter, and driving vehicles is only possible in the single player (russian tanks)
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Why aren't there any games where you would be a Wehrmacht soldier, sort of a Call of Duty from another perspective :? I'm getting bored with killin' Fritz.

Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

yeah Nibelung, just what i think.
Its about political correctness, i think." If youre a german Landser in a game, then youre Hitlers right hand, have killed thousands of jews, and youre completly incompetent, a neo-nazi and the evil itself."
Fighting in an FPS for the 3rd Reich is political incorrect.
Shooting,bashing, toasting, blowing up hundreds of thousands of virtual german soldiers isn't.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

well, at least we can still be panzer commanders in tactical games :? although i would love to fight some GI and Ivans.

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
DeBaer
Contributor

Post by DeBaer »

yup, and we still have german aircraft campaigns (like in Il2:Sturmovik).
thats the most important thing for me :D :wink:
i thinks FPS being more mainstream than other games like RTS and Sims is an important reason to. there are way more people coming from once allied countries, and so the developers probably think "lets let them be the main heroes in the game, so we suite more buyers"
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Sven
-
terras licet et undas obstruat at caelum certe patet
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

There's just one thing I don't understand; It's like you said before, but why are 1st person games uncorrect if you were a german, while in a strategic game (like sudden strike ) where you can destroy as much as 3000 russian infantry and 250 tanks per mission? Isn't that also incorrect if we want to play it by the numbers? :shock:

All we can do is wait and hope, that those games will come someday.

best,
Nibelung
Last edited by Nibelung on Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DasReichX
Supporter

Post by DasReichX »

If you didn't know, Red Orchestra was originally for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, then Soldier of Fortune 2, then UT2k3, and now UT2k4. I am friends with one of the leaders of the mod, his name is Jeremy. Also, once Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault comes out, it will beat all WWII FPS games.
DasReich.X
Mark
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

I agree with Nibelung. Why are there no single player 1st person shooters from the German point of view? All of the same gung-ho crap from the American point of view is recycled over and over. Also, is it me or are games kinda racist towards Germans? In games like Medal of Honour and Wolfenstein lots of the regular German soldiers are portrayed as, well, evil. Which is obviously incorrect. I mean, how that be accounted for if in reality they would have to join the armed forces regardless of their ideology. I heard the German version of Wolfenstein was altered so it wouldn't appear racist. Can anyone clarify that?
Sebastian Pye
Enthusiast

Post by Sebastian Pye »

red orchestra is only russians and germans
butcherbird190

Sudden Strike

Post by butcherbird190 »

I agree with you guys, I hate playing Americo-centric games where the Yanks are always held up as 'the beacons and warriors of democracy'. This is practically ALL first person shooter games where the US was involved (WW2, Vietnam, Gulf war). That's why I like playing stuff like sudden strike. OK, it's not a 1st person game but you control individual characters/tanks/etc in every battle, be they on the German, Russian, American side. You have the choice, where as games made by American software companies nearly always prevent you from being the 'enemy' and killing Americans. The exception to this is in the multiplayer on-line mode, for example in Medal of Honor where you can be a German and shoot at American characters.
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

If you're sick of games like Medal of Honour as you can only be American, why not invest in Day of Defeat with Sturmbot? Sure, it dosent have any story line, but that can be seen as an advantage. It appears to be the only 1st person shooter that dosent look at the Germans as evil. Aswell, its got more realistic action and weapons. Eg in Medal of Honour theres practically no recoil off the weapons, the sniper scopes don't drift, and all machine guns are stationary. In Day of Defeat, through proper tactics you can move MGs to high ground, etc. Also, not that its a big deal, but theres no blood in Medal of Honour. Not that its a big deal, but sometimes you can't tell if you've actually hit someone unless they fall down dead. Also in Day of Defeat, the maps are more focused on actual objectives like capturing ground, destroy installations and armour, etc. Not just deathmatch style games.
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

Well I played DoD for a while, but got bored, since there aren't any campaign like objectives and the maps are beggining to all look the same... :? But I at least got a good feeling for a second when I blasted the Yank's head off with my Mouser :wink:
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

I guess the maps are pretty similar, and some are extremely boring if your team is defending, but the bolt action rifles are very fun to use.
Golf33
Supporter

Post by Golf33 »

The Invasion '44: Fields of Glory mod for Operation Flashpoint is a pretty nifty WWII conversion. Comes with a neat little mini-campaign where you play an American para dropping over Sicily in '43.

The missions that come with the mod are all from the US POV but you could easily write your own from the other side.

Regards
Steve "Golf33" Long
Highway to the Reich
Panther Games Scenario Designer