What are your Military History interests other than WWII, i?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

L. Kafka
Enthusiast

I like walks on the beach, sunsets, candle lit dinners...

Post by L. Kafka »

meaningful relatioships, deep discussions on theology and Marxism-Leninism, and intraveneous drugs. :wink:
Henrik Krog
Contributor

Other than WWII.........

Post by Henrik Krog »

That would be

- The obscure plottings behind the lines in the Caucasus, the Middle East, Asia and Africa during WWI (such as the Tuareg and Senussi rebellions, the Georgian rebellion and the attempt to make India rebel against the Brits in 1915)

- The wars following WWI in eastern Europe, including the Russian Civil War

- 17th Century warfare, especially the "Swedish Deluge", that came pretty near to partition Denmark and Poland in the late 1650s

- 5th to 8th century warfare with such doomed kingdoms as the Allemanni, Burgundians, Saxons, the Celtic kingdoms in England, and the wars that finally formed Denmark as the Danes invaded the region.

Henrik
xavier
Contributor

helo Sam

Post by xavier »

hello Sam

pretty interesting, I tend to side also with the "losing side", my main
areas of interest are anything old and mechanichal, hence my interest in WWII german stuff

regards

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Scott Swindle

Post by Scott Swindle »

The Spartans, Hannibal vs. the Romans, Mongols vs. everybody, Russo-Japanese War, Khalkin Ghol, Victorian British Army in Asia & Africa & "The Great Game", --for some reason the US Civil War has never taken hold with me, maybe its because it seems everyone around here studies it & I want to be different!
Fridolin
Supporter

Post by Fridolin »

Hi Duque de Alba!

Mandame tu dirección postal (o vale la de Gruas Alba) y te mando un par de artículos muy breves que escribí sobre máquinas de guerra antiguas. Es suficientemente mecánico!!!
What we do in Life echoes in Eternity.

No quisieron querer a otra Bandera,
no pudieron andar otro camino,
no supieron morir de otra manera.
xavier
Contributor

hello Fridolin!!

Post by xavier »

Hello Fridolin,

I am on the road now, I will email my full complete address in a couple Days, Muchas gracias por acordarte de mi!!

Gracias!!

Xavier
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero
Paul_PJ

Post by Paul_PJ »

Hi Fridolin,

1. Vietnam.

2. Russo-Japanese conflict of early 1900 century.

3. Development of naval warfare till the advent of Aircraft Carriers.

4. Logistics and operations management (this of course is more from a business perspective ... but it can qualify as a military interest if the battle analysis is taken from point of view of how moral was boosted / affected due to logistics).
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

First World War history, lately the "side-show" aspects like Gallipoli, East Africa, and Arabia.

Also, Canadian involvement in the Boer War, WW1, WW2, and Korea.

--Mike
Guillermo
Contributor

Post by Guillermo »

There's an interesting game called "Medieval Total War". Nice insights into medieval armies: english, turkish, german, etc.

Guillermo
Qvist
Banned

Post by Qvist »

Greeks and Romans, the Crusades, the Thirty Years war, Feudal Japan, World War I and the Arab-Israeli wars. Major black holes: The Napoleonic wars and the US civil war. Although more by chance than design I suppose. Any conflict and era has it's points of interest. You just have to get into them properly to appreciate them.

cheers
Craig
Banned

Post by Craig »

WW1 Sea war
All Battleships and Battlecruisers

Making ridiculously large models of same

Making 1:1 replicas of WW2 Ordnance
HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE FASTEST RUNNER!
Ciaran Byrne
Supporter

Post by Ciaran Byrne »

Post War Soviet Uniforms, I have a large collection of them including medals, uniforms and equipement such as webbing , belts, bayonets etc.
Also the Irish Regiments during WWI but mainly the 5th Royal Irish Lancers and the Royal Dublin Fusiliers as my great uncles fought in these regiments.
Paulus

Post by Paulus »

Irish war of Independence, and the Irish civil war too. The war of independence is similar to the American war of independence, as it was studied for the use of guerilla tactics. Also it ties in with WW1, which is another interest of mine :D . I haven't been into it as long as I have WW1 or WW2. Eventually I realised that alot of the stuff to do with it happened near enough to where I live :shock: so that was convenient as I always assumed the Irish weren't involved in any major wars. Of course anything that kickstarts the downfall of the British Empire should be considered major :wink:
101stDoc
Associate

Post by 101stDoc »

My interests range from Ancient to Contemporary.

But, the more time consuming for me would be: the Punic Wars, Dark Age & Medieval Scottish/English/Et Al wars, The American Revolution, Napoleonic Wars era (including the War of 1812), British Commonwealth colonial wars and such like, the American Civil War, Spanish American war and most of the wars the US has been associated with in the 20th century, right up to OIF.

Doc
Thomhasj

Post by Thomhasj »

My interest for World War II started with when I was a young lad and saw The Longest Day for the first time. I wanted to know why these men were fighting each other etc. etc. My interest in World War II is quite broad, but I tend to give extra attention when it comes to the Netherlands.

Further interest in military history include:
Frederick the Great, Cold War (Korea, Vietnam etc.), Arab-Israeli conflicts and Modern times (Gulf War 1 & 2)
"We are in a hell of a fine place..." (Feldwebel, 712 Infantry Division talking about Holland)