Neck

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Guillermo
Contributor

Neck

Post by Guillermo »

Mr. Commissar,

How many necks pierced by bullets today? Be aware of the Kommissar Order!

Guillermo
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hey Guillermo, are you the same Guillermo from the old forum? If so, good to see you here. I've mised executing--oh sorry, excuse me, I meant to say I've missed talking to some of the old crowd! Best Regards, David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Thersites

Post by Thersites »

Don't apologize for your little vices, Commissar! Every one needs relaxing from time to time, and executing is... well, tolerable as a vice and distraction. Reading James Joyce or attending Chinese opera would be much more wicked!
Molon labe
Guillermo
Contributor

Post by Guillermo »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Hey Guillermo, are you the same Guillermo from the old forum? If so, good to see you here. I've mised executing--oh sorry, excuse me, I meant to say I've missed talking to some of the old crowd! Best Regards, David
Greetings,

Yep, it's me, from the old forum. Glad to see you guys around.
I've read again Irving's "Hitler's War" and "Göring". The following excerpt impressed me:

"In wave after wave of densely packed soldiers, the enemy offensive rolled across the snowscape toward us. Our machine guns hammered away at them without letup, you could not hear yourself speak. Like a dark and somber carpet a layer of dead and dying stretched across the snow in front of us, but still the masses of humanity came on at us, closer and closer, seemingly inexhaustible. Only when they came within hand-grenade range of us did the last of these attacking Russians fall to our machine guns. And then, as our gunners began to breathe again, there was a fresh stir in the distance, a broad dark line on the horizon, and it all began again." Thus a German officer described the rearguard actions north of Moscow.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Guillermo, I thought it was you. Good to see you here too. Things aren't as lively as they used to be, but we keep trying.
That's a good paragraph, I've read similar ones, especially during the
beginning and middle of the War. It constantly amazed the Germans how many Russians they could kill or tanks they could knock out, only to find others coming at them later. Ah well, a day in the life on the Ostfront.
Best Regards, David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Guillermo
Contributor

Stalingrad

Post by Guillermo »

Commissar,

According to BBC's "War of the Century", in the Stalingrad front alone approx. 1.5 million Russian soldiers perished. Could this be true?

And during 1941, Stalin attempted a counter-attack in Smolensk (or was it Kharkov?), in which approx. 300 thousand Russian soldiers were killed.

Guillermo