Uniforms of the halftrack crewmen

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Panzer37
Supporter

Uniforms of the halftrack crewmen

Post by Panzer37 »

Hello all

I became very courious about the uniforms the drivers and crewmen of halftracks wore. I read at the landser site, that some of these drivers were issued green wrapparounds. I was wondering what waffenfarbe they did use. did they use the PzGrenadieren green when they were allocated to a PzGren bataillon? i will apreciate any help to clarify this topic.

regards

Hector
stab131
Contributor

Post by stab131 »

Would wear waffenfarbe of assigned unit.
Panzer37
Supporter

Post by Panzer37 »

thank you Stab, I really wanted to confirm this.

regards

Héctor
Paul Hanson
Contributor

Post by Paul Hanson »

This has been discussed several times on other forums, here's Mike Pruett's answers:

SPW Crew Uniforms
March 23 2000 at 8:03 AM Michael H. Pruett

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

German Heer SPW crews (SdKfz. 250 & 251) were issued both the black Panzer and field-gray Sturmartillerie uniforms. A very brief run down as follows:

In a Pz. Aufkl. Abt. (1943 -45)
SdKfz. 250/9 - Black Panzer uniform. Sometimes field-gray Sturmartillerie uniforms.
SdKfz. 250 and/or 251s in the 3rd, 4th and 5th Kompanien. - Sturmartillerie uniforms.

This varied from unit to unit. Some units never received the Sturmartillerie uniforms and wore standard Field Service uniforms. In these units the SdKfz. 250/8 and/or SdKfz. 251/9 "Stummel" crews received preferential treatment with the issue of the field-gray Sturmartillerie uniforms.

Panzergrenadier Btl. (Gep.) - Sturmartillerie uniforms. Panzergrenadier Lehr Rgt. 901 & 902 are examples of units that had wide spread issue of these uniforms.

Panzerpionier Kompanie (Gep.) - black Panzer and field-gray Sturmartillerie uniforms (varied from unit to unit).

There are more examples but time at the moment does not allow a more in depth examination.

HTH

PH
Panzer37
Supporter

Post by Panzer37 »

Thanks Paul

I am still courious about the waffenfarbe. When he says, some used Panzer black and some used sturmartillerie fieldgray, does that mean that the wraparounds kept the waffenfarbe for those branchs or were they the correspongind to PzGren and PzAufklärung. Sorry to bother with these dumb and maybe unimportant questions

regards

Hector
Paul Hanson
Contributor

Post by Paul Hanson »

Not a dumb question at all, rather a very difficult and confused subject to understand. These units wore their own Waffenfarbe, but what that Waffenfarbe was often depended on their unit. The Panzergr-Regt. and Panzerfüsilier-Regt. of GD wore white piping on their Sturmartillerie uniforms issued in January, 1944 since that was the only color worn as Waffenfarbe by this division.

An example of a just plain chaotic war situation is PG-Lehr-Regtr. 901 and 902 of Panzer-Lehr-Division. In the spring of 1944 they were outfitted in Sturmartillerie uniforms with meadow green piping. After the heavy fighting in Normandy their unifoms were in poor condition. One of their supply officers located a stock of Sturmartillerie uniforms, but with golden yellow piping. These units wore golden yellow Waffenfarbe for the rest of the war; not because it was correct but because it was on the uniforms they were issued.

The black Panzer uniform in SPW's usually would only be worn by PAA units. They wore either gold yellow or rose pink depending on their units(PAA of Panzer-Divisionen 1-5 wore rose pink thru out the war regardless of regulations.)

Most of this information is from Bob Edwards' and Mike Pruett's book FIELD UNIFORMS OF THE GERMAN ARMY PANZER FORCES IN WORLD WAR 2.

HTH,

PH
Last edited by Paul Hanson on Tue May 18, 2004 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panzer37
Supporter

Post by Panzer37 »

wow Paul, thanks a lot

best regards

Hector
Paul Hanson
Contributor

Post by Paul Hanson »

You are welcome.

Cheers,

PH