Flamethrowers and Pillboxes

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Guy Newling

Flamethrowers and Pillboxes

Post by Guy Newling »

i heard a while ago that flamethrowers used against pillboxes did often burn the occupants but 'burn' the air and cause the occupants to die from lack of oxygen - any comments

Guy
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

That is a correct statement. In fact the impact of the flamethrower could be increased by firing first some liquid into the structure and then firing a second shot that was lit. If the person was not in the line of fire, oxygen deprivation and smoke would be quite effective. Nasty weapon.

Cheers,

Christian
Das Reich
Supporter

Post by Das Reich »

Would hate to survive that... did anyone?
Davey B

Post by Davey B »

Hi Das Reich,

My old platoon Sgt told me that if a grenade lands next to you you should hit the deck with your feet closest to the grenade. A grenade explodes on the ground in a 'V' type blast - so he said, so thats the safest thing to do without any other choice. This was in a leture from straight out of the manual. (British Army circa 1997)

I asked him if he knew anybody who had survived this and he laughed! As squadies will allways talk about their close escapes - at least to their comrades - he said, thats what the the manual said and NO CHANCE!

Anyway my point is that if anybody had survived a flamethrower attack on a bunker I think it would be well recorded by now. As far as I know, most flame attacks on static posiions resulted in the enemy either surrendering or retreating as soon as they knew what they were up against. Those that didn't would never tell the tale!

The flamethrower can be described best as a 'psychological' weapon in this respect.

The other side is, there is no way I would want to be an operator of such a weapon as an infantryman, going into battle with THAT strapped to your back!

I've read combat reports of flamethrowers being used, but not by the people facing them. Has anyone?
Golf33
Supporter

Post by Golf33 »

There were posts a while back on the Jagdmoroner Abteilung forum (http://www.1jma.dk/) which quoted from a British War Office report to the effect that the flamethrower's main effect was to produce enemy surrenders, rather than to inflict casualties. This was obviously based on West Front experience using things like Wasps and Crocodiles, I wonder if the same applies to infantry flamethrowers or for that matter in the Pacific?

Regards
Steve "Golf33" Long
Highway to the Reich
Panther Games Scenario Designer
Davey B

Post by Davey B »

Hi Golf33

I'm sure the effect would be the same, though I'd rather be in a Crocodile! Especially as the liquid tank was towed behind - a 'bit' safer at least. Fancy crawling up to a pill box with a flame tank on your back? Dont much fancy the Wasp option either! (More protection the better). But there we go, braver souls than me.