Steel Dogtags?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

John V

Steel Dogtags?

Post by John V »

My buddy acquired an SS dogtag that turned out to be magnetic (iron or steel). I thought they were only made in aluminum or zinc. Who is :?: right???
Matt L
Contributor

Post by Matt L »

Hi John,

All three were used- the steel discs ('Nirostahl'- stainless steel) were introduced in the fall of 1942, and were intended for Panzer and aircrews who might be exposed to fire, which would destroy aluminum or zinc discs. Of course supply situations often dictated that whatever blanks were available were used, so it's not at all uncommon to find steel discs marked for all kinds of different units. I, myself, have 3 steel discs in my collection, and only one one is Luftwaffe- but it's not a flying unit, it's a Fallschirmjäger unit. The others are a Panzergrenadier unit and an Artillerie unit.

Other than the fact they're magnetic, Nirostahl discs can be easily identified by the fact that they have large neck cord holes- larger than the small hole on the lower half (Sammelloch)- so that it can be worn on a chain.
Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate- "Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily'' William of Ockham