the alllies' submarines sunk by U-BOOT

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

FBB

the alllies' submarines sunk by U-BOOT

Post by FBB »

i want to know how many alllies' submarines sunk by U-BOOT during WWII, and if it is possible, the name and date are also needed, thanks for any help
Robert Hurst
Supporter

The Allies Submarines Sunk by U-boot

Post by Robert Hurst »

Hi FBB

As far as I know only two Royal Navy submarines operating under the White Ensign were actually sunk by U-boats during the war.

a) the S-Class submarine HMS Spearfish. This boat was lost on the 2.8.1940. She was caught on the surface by U.34 during a patrol off the Norwegian coast, and was sunk by torpedo.

AND

b) HMS P615 (ex-Turkish Uluc ali reis). This boat was one of a class of four being built in the UK, by Vickers-Armstrongs for the Turkish Navy. On completion the whole class was requisitioned by the Admiralty. Later on, in 1942 two of the class were delivered to the Turks.

HMS P615 was hit by a torpedo from U-123 off West Africa and sank on the 18 April 1943.

Regards

Bob
Last edited by Robert Hurst on Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visje

Re: Allied subs and stuff

Post by Visje »

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but didn't you already ask this at Uboat.net ?

http://www.uboat.net/forum/read.php?f=3&i=20873&t=20873
Robert Hurst
Supporter

The Allies Submarines Sunk by U-BOOT

Post by Robert Hurst »

Hi FBB

The only other allied submarines sunk by U-boats during WWII are as follows;

French:

Circe class submarine Doris. This submarine was torpedoed by U9 in the north sea, on the 9th May, 1940.

Redoutable class submarine Sfax. This submarine was torpedoed by mistake by U37 after the surrender on the 19th December 1940.

Diane class submarine La Sybille. This submarine was sunk in error by U173 of Morocco on 11 November 1942

Soviet Russia

The only Soviet submarine to be sunk by a U-boat, was the Serie VIbis type M78. she was torpedoed by U144 off the coast Latvian on the 26 April 1941.

No other Allied nation lost a submarine the German U-Boat action.

Regards

Bob
Robert Hurst
Supporter

Allied Submarines sunk by U-Boats

Post by Robert Hurst »

Hi FBB

I have have come across the following British submarines that were sunk by U-Boats.

HMS Simoom. This S-class submarine was probably sunk by U.565 on the 15 November 1943 in the Aegean.

HMS Thistle. This T-class submarine was sunk by U.4 on the 10 April 1940 off Skudesnes.

Regards

Bob