Rank Insignia of an SS Staffelmann

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Wolfkin
Associate

Rank Insignia of an SS Staffelmann

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello all!

I am wondering what the rank insignia of an SS-Staffelmann was. I know that this rank turned into the SS-Oberschutze in 1941 and I know what the SS-Oberschutze rank insignia was. But, I am curious as to whether the rank insignia was the same, the SS-Oberschutze wearing the sleeve insignia (pip on the upper left sleeve) like the Heer Oberschutze.

My guess is that it was not, that the SS-Staffelmann did not wear the sleeve insignia. This is only my own guess but I think that the rank insignia for an SS-Staffelmann was the same as an SS-Staffelanwarter which would be the same as an SS-Schutze. The only difference was the title, an SS-Staffelanwarter still in training an SS-Staffelmann finished his training.

I believe that perhaps, the insignia was only adopted after the Waffen SS adopted the ranks Schutze and Oberschutze from the Heer. SS-Staffelanwarter and SS-Staffelmann became the SS-Schutze and SS-Oberschutze with perhaps their roles changing somewhat, meaning the same title for a soldier in training and finished training.

Am I correct? Can anyone help me out with this? Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!