Uniform clarification 39-40

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Scott Brodnax

Uniform clarification 39-40

Post by Scott Brodnax »

I am aware that the M35/6 uniform with the dark blue/green collar and shoulder boards was in use in Poland and France and according to several refernce books including Uniforms and Traditions Vol. 1, the M40, although ordered in spring '40, didn't really reach the troops until late '40. I'm also aware that there might have been the occasional Reichswehr uniform show up in either campaign. What I don't understand is why I see a fairly large number of photos from both the Polish and French campaigns that show troops wearing uniforms with the feldgrau collar and shoulder boards.
Some seem to mix the dark green collar and feldgrau shoulder boards and vice versa. Any explanations. :?:
Thanks
Scott B
Christoph Awender
Patron

uniforms

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello!

Not my experience. Could you post one or more images to let us see what you mean?

regards,
Christoph
Scott Brodnax

Post by Scott Brodnax »

I was afraid somebody would ask for photos. Give me a few days to figure out whats wrong with my scanner.

Scott
PaulW
Supporter

Post by PaulW »

The other problem is miscaptioning of photos which often occurs. A photo of Babarossa that is labelled as France.

This is an interesting question though.

Some units did get new unifroms early, before general issue to test them. There is some evidence that Grossdeutschland did.(later in the war). Also Delagarde* states that certain units had the M44 uniform earlier for testing before ?summer 1944. (he even names the units-17th, 73rd infantry Divs, 78th sturm division, 28th and 104th jager divsions, and 2nd mountain, along with Ersatzbrigade GD)
Official release was not until August 1944.
* German soldiers of WW2 page 66 (Histoire and Collections)
The M43 uniform is also said to be issued earlier than 1943, though the M42 and 43 were so similar this may be hard to tell from photos.
Generally the uniforms would be issued later than the year of design. (Not many M42 unifroms in Stalingrad photos, but lots at Kursk.)
Paul