Did ANY senior Nazis die in combat for Germany?

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

KampfgruppeMeyer wrote:
Commissar D, the Evil wrote: But, you must understand, that unlike the Red Army, which fought purely out of patriotic fervor and in self-defense, Best Regards,
~D, the EviL
wow, that is very funny. do you really beleive that the russians fought for patriotic fervor. lol. i guess having a commisar behind you with a gun in your back is the slavic form of patriotism? :shock:
You haven't a clue about what you're talking about. Red patriotism and the defense of the Motherland were the most effective calls in rallying Soviet citizens against Germany. Do you get all your historical information about the former USSR from 'Red Dawn' and 'Rambo' movies?

Wurger - Resident Leftist Thug
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Post by KampfgruppeMeyer »

Wurger wrote:
You haven't a clue about what you're talking about. Red patriotism and the defense of the Motherland were the most effective calls in rallying Soviet citizens against Germany. Do you get all your historical information about the former USSR from 'Red Dawn' and 'Rambo' movies?

well, without resorting to the insults you seem to enjoy. first, it is common knowledge that the VAST majority of people fighting for "mother russia" were conscripted asians and from other countries like georgia and the ukraine. second, most learned historians would agree that these so called "russians" fought only because they had political commisars with guns forcing these FOREIGN conscrips forward. even stalin would't allow innocent civilians to escape stalingrad, but forced them to stay there under german occupation.

rather than resort to personal attacks, please contribute some TRUTH to this thread. if not . . . well theres always the TRHF :wink:
Meine Ehre Heisst Treue...
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Whoa, hold up guys before this gets out of hand.
First, I wrote the original post as a tongue-in-cheek reply to my friend Sid.
Second, the Red Army was just like any army of the war. All Soviet citizens were liable for service, which included groups as different from each other as Ukrainians (who are not Asians) to Siberians (Who may or may not be Asians, Cossacks, Georgians, Tatars, Turkomens, Lativans, etc.
These stories of Soviet Units going into battle out of fear of their Commissars are pretty over-blown. The Soviets did believe fiercely in discipline, but the population believed firmly in Russia and Germany had invaded Russia. Patriotism played as much a role in the Red Army as it did in the German Army. You can fight to defend your little town and your family without believing in either Nazism or Communism.

But getting back to this image of soldiers charging with guns to their backs, this is largely a fiction, invented by Nazi propagandists to reassure their side that those millions of men charging the lines didn't really want to fight.

Those cases where the Soviets resorted to incredibly harsh acts, such as before Moscow and at Stalingrad, were not typical operating procedure in the Red Army. Commissars were there to maintain morale, encourage troops and, if need be, lead them into battle. They were not there simply to execute people.

You can always find some example of extremist behavior in any hard-pressed Army, but to use them as typical of that Army is unreasonable. No one judges the WWII German Army by the actions of Field Marshall Ferdinand Shorner in 1945, do they?

Cheers,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:Whoa, hold up guys before this gets out of hand.
First, I wrote the original post as a tongue-in-cheek reply to my friend Sid.
Second, the Red Army was just like any army of the war. All Soviet citizens were liable for service, which included groups as different from each other as Ukrainians (who are not Asians) to Siberians (Who may or may not be Asians, Cossacks, Georgians, Tatars, Turkomens, Lativans, etc.
These stories of Soviet Units going into battle out of fear of their Commissars are pretty over-blown. The Soviets did believe fiercely in discipline, but the population believed firmly in Russia and Germany had invaded Russia. Patriotism played as much a role in the Red Army as it did in the German Army. You can fight to defend your little town and your family without believing in either Nazism or Communism.

But getting back to this image of soldiers charging with guns to their backs, this is largely a fiction, invented by Nazi propagandists to reassure their side that those millions of men charging the lines didn't really want to fight.

Those cases where the Soviets resorted to incredibly harsh acts, such as before Moscow and at Stalingrad, were not typical operating procedure in the Red Army. Commissars were there to maintain morale, encourage troops and, if need be, lead them into battle. They were not there simply to execute people.

You can always find some example of extremist behavior in any hard-pressed Army, but to use them as typical of that Army is unreasonable. No one judges the WWII German Army by the actions of Field Marshall Ferdinand Shorner in 1945, do they?

Cheers,
~D, the EviL
i tend to disagree that Ukrainians (who are not Asians) to Siberians (Who may or may not be Asians, Cossacks, Georgians, Tatars, Turkomens, Lativans, etc. loved mother russia. in fact, the fall of the soviet union contradicts this.. just look at the video of these people spiting upon statues and swearing never to speak the russian language that was forced upon them.

however, i appreciate your non slanderous response. timo could learn a thing or two from you
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

however, i appreciate your non slanderous response. timo could learn a thing or two from you
Well, KG Meyer, I must say that when I was first on the Forums I had an argument or two with Timo. But that passed and I quickly recognized him as an incredible resource and repository of knowledge in his field. I am proud to have him as a friend and co-worker. Trust me that Timo is always straight-forward and always helpful when you need help.
i tend to disagree that Ukrainians (who are not Asians) to Siberians (Who may or may not be Asians, Cossacks, Georgians, Tatars, Turkomens, Lativans, etc. loved mother russia. in fact, the fall of the soviet union contradicts this.. just look at the video of these people spiting upon statues and swearing never to speak the russian language that was forced upon them.
Ah, there is much truth to this. But, one has to ask if these feelings existed back in 1940. Obviously to a certain degree they did--after all, the Communist Party had won an incredibly vicous civil war and inherited the empire built by the Czars. Like the Czars, they held it together by force and politics. But there were a number of nationalist groups and anti-communist groups that welcomed the German invasion and collaborated with them.

The truth about how much the response of the population of the Soviet State to the Nazi invasion was dictated by Patriotism, as opposed to fear, may never be known. Totalitarian states have a great deal of coercive force behind them. No citizen wants to be targeted by a State that can destroy not only himself but his family. In this regard, I believe the Nazis and the Soviets used the same pressures on their people.

But, aside from execution and imprisonment, a totalitarian state has another great device for making its people adhere to the program. That device was propaganda and the Soviets were masters of it.
Remember that Stalin's appeal to nationalism and plea for the defense of "Mother Russia" were echoed by countless newspapers, countless radio speeches and countless political operatives on every level, down to the individual village.
Clearly, this appeal was attractive to large portions of the population of the Soviet Union. The Communist Party was a strong one with roots in all strata of society. And, it is always in a popular thought that "better the devil you know, than the devil you don't know" and "my country, right or wrong".

Furthermore, if you follow the course of the war, you will find stubborn, fanatical resistance by ordinary soldiers throughout. That is why I am skeptical of the image of Soviet Soldiers going into battle only out of fear of the NKVD behind the line. Soldiers have one great advantage over a civilian population, they are armed. Czarist Russia, (which was never accused either of being afraid to execute or imprison dissidents) disintegrated under mutinies within its armed forces. This never happened with the Soviet Union, even when it seemed that the War was lost.

So, if anyone asks me, I would have to say that the Soviet performance in the war depended very, very much on the patriotism and devotion of the average "Ivan".

Best Regards, David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

if i was a russian, or soviet, i would have joined with Germany. at least hitler was elected, unlike that brutal murderer stalin and his worthless communist thugs
Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

Hello Commissar,

You beat me to the punch, but I agree with what you wrote 100%.

Regards,

Last edited by Wurger on Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

KampfgruppeMeyer wrote:if i was a russian, or soviet, i would have joined with Germany. at least hitler was elected, unlike that brutal murderer stalin and his worthless communist thugs
Then Hitler would have had you starved and worked to death by his SS and Ostministerium thugs. But at least he was elected.

PS: Hitler's was hardly a legal election.
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Wurger wrote:
Then Hitler would have had you starved and worked to death by his SS and Ostministerium thugs. But at least he was elected.

PS: Hitler's was hardly a legal election.
hmmm...this flys in the face of the historical truth.....white russians (the good ones) served alongside germany http://www.axiseuropa.com/mall/Waffen-SS.htm
Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

A few so called White Russians in SS service hardly makes up for the millions of Soviet citizens killed by the Germans in combat, in mass exections, by starving, and by poor working conditions.

Furthermore, current research shows that many of these eastern 'volunteers' did so in order to have access to food, to avoid German forced labor conscription, or were dragooned at gun point. I'd hardly call these people willing servants of Hitler's Germany.

PS: Have you actually read the Axis Europa book you put the link up for?
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

Wurger wrote: A few so called White Russians in SS service hardly makes up for the millions of Soviet citizens killed by the Germans in combat, in mass exections, by starving, and by poor working conditions.
you must be refering to stalin's murders of over 12 million of his own "so called" "patriotic people", including most of his own officer corps. being a leftist, one of the two or three left on earth, i can see why you cling to YOUR truth, but please, the russians who served with germans did so with distinction. don't dishonor these brave men with such slanderous untruths.

the book you refer to is dubious at best
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

KG:
"the book you refer to is dubious at best"

Now this is getting silly, Axis Europa dismissed as 'dubious'?
KG it is painfully obvious you know little about this publisher or its aims.
Panzerass
Supporter

Post by Panzerass »

Did anyone mention SS-Obersturmführer Heinz-Hugo John? He was a platoonleader in the 7th company of II./SS-PzRgt 12 "Hitlerjugend" and held the post of an "Obergebietsführer" of the HJ movement. He was the chief of "Hauptamt 1" at the headquarters of HJ in Berlin and member of the Nazi parliament, too. Aged 40 he volunteered for service in the 12. SS-Panzerdivision and was then killed on June 9, 1944 at La Folie, north-west of Caen, Normandy when his tank had been hit by an exploding shell while climbing out of his tank to get to the battailon HQ. (see "The Panzers and the Battle of Normandy", Georges Bernage, Editions Heimdal)
Wurger
Contributor

Post by Wurger »

KampfgruppeMeyer wrote:
Wurger wrote: A few so called White Russians in SS service hardly makes up for the millions of Soviet citizens killed by the Germans in combat, in mass exections, by starving, and by poor working conditions.
you must be refering to stalin's murders of over 12 million of his own "so called" "patriotic people", including most of his own officer corps. being a leftist, one of the two or three left on earth, i can see why you cling to YOUR truth, but please, the russians who served with germans did so with distinction. don't dishonor these brave men with such slanderous untruths.

the book you refer to is dubious at best
First off, I fail to understand what Stalin's purges have to do with the subject at hand.

Second, MY truth (I had no idea there were different kinds) happens to be the one held by most of the leading scholars studying the Third Reich today.

Third, my "Leftist Thug" title came from one of the other sad Nazi-wannabes with a prurient interest in the SS that plague this forum.

Finally, examining the true motives/reasons behind eastern soldiers' 'volunteering' for the SS, rather than just dismissing them as Nazi dupes is hardly dishonoring them.

PS: You haven't answered my question. Have you read the book?
KampfgruppeMeyer
Banned

i have the book and i think the author is good. however, i prefer Christopher Ailsby's writing on this subject