The Japanese: More Formidable than the Germans!!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Fridolin
Supporter

Post by Fridolin »

Packaging??? But yes, there is some of that in Russian tanks also... big turrets on the outside with a very small useful space inside! Just like in perfume bottles!! :D
What we do in Life echoes in Eternity.

No quisieron querer a otra Bandera,
no pudieron andar otro camino,
no supieron morir de otra manera.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Ah, perfume bottles! Well Fridolin, the truth is--and you won't find this in the reference books--if you look at late war T-34/85s, aside from the extra fuel tanks strapped to the side, on the rear plate there are two smaller cannisters. One is a smoke-making device. The other is an addition to the internal air supply, manufactured jointly by the Leningrad firm of ReV and the Moscow firm LoN. It contains old spices to "sweeten" he fighting compartment. This was an essential bit of equipment when the T-34/85 came out with its bigger gun and five man crew. (Well, the real problem was the five man crew.)

The German Tiger I, being a bigger tank had a shower and bidet compartment. It's successor, the Tiger II had a sauna (for the Ostfront) or a Hot Tub (for the Westfront) under its turret basket. We could not match these accomodations and had to make do with ReVloN scented air.

Best Regards,
~D, EviL but Sweet-Smelling
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Fridolin
Supporter

Post by Fridolin »

Commissar D, the Evil wrote:(Well, the real problem was the five man crew.)

The German Tiger I, being a bigger tank had a shower and bidet compartment.
Well, I suppose four man and a woman (or four women and a man) would pose a bigger problem.
As for the bidet, the Germans not being French, I suppose that was a special series meant only for the Barbie Dahl Brigade :D
What we do in Life echoes in Eternity.

No quisieron querer a otra Bandera,
no pudieron andar otro camino,
no supieron morir de otra manera.
Commissar D, the Evil

Yes Fridolin, I checked, the Tiger II (B) ("Bidetwagen") was only issued to certain S.S. units. (They know who they are!)

Best Regards,
~D, the EviL
Vinnie O
Supporter

Germans lost because grossly outnumbered

Post by Vinnie O »

The Germans consistently traded better than 1:1. They lost because the Americans in particular were in a position to expend 2 or 3 tanks to take out 1 German tank. The English more than admit this by announcing prior to El Alamein that they required 9:1 superiority in tanks to even CONSIDER offensive operations against the Germans.

The Russian were trading somewhere between 5:1 and 10:1. They NEVER got any better.

What happened between 1942 and 1945 was that the total combat power available to Germany began to go down. At the same time the total combat power available to the Allies went up, mostly because the Americans added 50 or 60 fully equiped divisions to the equation.
Vinnie O
Commissar D, the Evil

The Russian were trading somewhere between 5:1 and 10:1. They NEVER got any better
You guys at Dupuy really don't read much about 1944 on the Ostfront, do you?

Cheers,
~D, the EviL
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Why don't you forward the Heroes sagas to them! It might help their education! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

:D 8) :wink:

Ah, my Commissar, but we never had anything that fancy. Although we did modify my Panther one time with the "Special Performance Package"! It was fully loaded with all the options! Performance rated suspension, drivetrain, exhaust, you name it! On the downside, those guys at M.A.N. would not offer any form of warranty at all :( ! I know why too! They didn't want to get stuck doing any warranty work when it broke down!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Commissar D, the Evil

Heh heh! Actually Wolfkin, reading about the plans for the Panther that M.A.N. was considering by the end of the war, like schmal-turm, steel wheels, stabilized 88/L71 gun, new coincidence rangefinder, infra-red vision devices, etc., about the only thing that beast wouldn't have had by 1948 was a surf-board!!!!

Best Regards, David
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Yes, my friend, what a deadly little cat it would have been! :D

Still with no warranty I'll bet! 8)

I better stop, if word gets out of what I have said I might get posted to a Penal Battalion! :(

Cheers my evil commissar! :D 8) :wink:

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

They probably would have gone ahead with the warranty, if you hadn't insisted it include road-side service!! :D
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Commissar D, the Evil

:D :D :D :D

Triple A for a Panther! :shock:

Cheers,
~D
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Yes, I guess asking for that was too much!

Heehee...the Panther Assistance Association! Mobile, 24 hour, roadside assistance! Please allow for some delay during the Spring and Autumn Rasputitsa on the Ostfront!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

If possible, a loaner panzer of equal or lesser value will be provided until yours is repaired! :D :wink:
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Commissar D, the Evil

"Or perhaps sir, you could rent a panzer. We know of a number of good rental firms; Hearse, Axis, and Alamo. For the Eastern Front, we suggest either Hearse or Alamo. Axis is number two and they try harder but we don't suggest you come in second on the Eastern Front. Hearse probably has run out of vehicles by now. They're very popular in the East. So try Alamo, they'll supply a Panzer that gives you the true feel of the country."

--M.A.N. representative Klaus Fuchs to Johnny Wolftruppen, January 20th, 1944.

Cheers,
~D