Fake Totenkopf?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

goatboy

Fake Totenkopf?

Post by goatboy »

I saw a 1934 style Totenkopf for sale at an antique shop. It looked real: sharp edges, correct number of teeth and skull fissures, it was slightly corroded on the back, the silver finish was wearing away, and even smelled like it was old. However, on the back it was marked with an RZM logo that had only one circle around it. It also had no makers mark. Is it a definate fake?
Brig
Contributor

Post by Brig »

1934 Totenkopf...you mean an Allegemeine tunic?

I'm not even sure that the TV were a division of the Allegemeine. Have you performed the black light test? What was the price? how was it displayed? was it among a lot of other German militaria, or an only military item?
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

I'm talking about the metal deaths head cap insignia. It was displayed along with a bunch of military and civil insignia, mostly German, but some American. It was in a small wooden case with a glass top. I didn't run a black light test- I actually don't own one of the hand held ones that I could take in there. It was selling for $50.
Brig
Contributor

Post by Brig »

oh, black light test is useless on metal.

does it have a number on the back? You know, M1/something. I wouldn't touch it is it didn't, and would be very careful if it did due to that RZM marking lack of circle
goatboy

Post by goatboy »

It had no maker's number. That's why I assumed it was probably fake, since it had the wrong RZM logo and no number. From what I've read, lacking a manufacturer's number doesn't necessarily prove that it's fake, but I wasn't sure if the RZM logo was ever changed or if for some reason some firms used a different one. Thanks for the help.
Brig
Contributor

Post by Brig »

well, two faults are too much risk. the only time I've seen incorrect RZM marks on original items are the 1st model SA/SS cap eagles, so small they can barely fir the marking itself with one circle