Waffen SS tarnjacket patterns

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Matt Norton

Waffen SS tarnjacket patterns

Post by Matt Norton »

Hello, all. I was wondering if all the varoius patterns of Waffen SS that are available today are in fact copies of war time pieces? As all the photographic evidence I have seen has been of the Oak patterns, whether it be Oak A, B or blurred edge. has anybody seen any other patterns issued? Were they specific styles issued to particular units, if so is Palm leaf a real pattern or a post war fantasy item? Please help

Matt
Enrico Mölders
Supporter

Post by Enrico Mölders »

Hi Matt,

there existed indeed many diffrent camo patterns and even the same patterns came in diffrent materials and colours.

Especialy in the late months of the war same units used a great number of diffrent patterns, styles ...

If we have a look for example on the Grenadiers of 12. SS while the battles in the Normandy, than someone could think those units were a wild mix of many units because of their useage of so many camo patterns, styles and models.

bye enrico
' ... zu bedauern die Nation die Helden benötigt ! ' Berthold Brecht
Matt Norton

Post by Matt Norton »

Thankyou Enrico, that has helped, now I will endeavour to find some photographic evidence of other patterns. I have seen a lot photo's of LAH and 12SS in Italian cam.

Thanks again,

the search must go on
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

A large and complete book on SS camo was written by Mike Beaver. Period photos and surviving examples of all types.

Mark
Matt Norton

Post by Matt Norton »

Thanks Mark,

I will now start my quest for that book

Matt
Lustmolch
Supporter

Post by Lustmolch »

Palm tree pattern was a bona fide wartime pattern and the only one where specific bits of the pattern appeared in specific areas of the smock (opposed to the other types where they were made up as they came off the bolt). A contemporary photo has four SS men in this type of smock, sat in a Volkswagen 82, the cam pattern clearly discernable.

Because of the striping characteristic of this smock, the men dubbed it the Tigerhemd or Tiger shirt.
Matt Norton

Post by Matt Norton »

Thankyou for your reply, You have been agreat help
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

Last year, DER FREIWILLIGE ran a series of articles on SS Camouflage patterns. The pictures were actually in color. I don't have the exact month since I am at the office but I will check this evening.
szeigler

Post by szeigler »

I knew I shouldn't have let my subscription run out! :oops:

Steve Z.
Das kommt mir spanisch vor!
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

I really look forward to my magazine each month. There is at least one article in each issue that grabs my interest.
szeigler

Post by szeigler »

I had subscribed from 1976 until, I believe, 1998. It became too difficult and expensive to continue the subscription. I couldn't use US international money orders anymore, and international bank account transfers were close to the subscription price--about 80.00 USD; so I was spending well over 100 USD a year. I do miss getting it, though.

Steve Z.
Das kommt mir spanisch vor!