Any German surface ships from WWII still afloat?

German Kriegsmarine 1935-1945.
Sam H.
Associate

Any German surface ships from WWII still afloat?

Post by Sam H. »

Have any of the Germany surface vessels (destroyer or larger) been turned into museums, or were all the vessels divided among the allies, only to be scuttled or scraped in turn?
LowTech
Supporter

Post by LowTech »

Unfortunately there are no destroyer or larger WWII-era German vessels around. In fact, I'm only aware of only a few WWII-era german combat vessels (all subs) still around as museums:
- U-505 in the U.S.
- U-534 in the UK
- U-995 in Germany
- U-2540 in Germany
- numerous German midget subs in Europe and the U.S.

LowTech
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill
jon s

Post by jon s »

The site http://www.prinzeugen.com refered to in the topic 'surviving battleships?' also has sections dealing with the German E-boats of which two, S-97 and S-130, still survive. The pictures of the Prinz Eugen on this site are incredible; I presume it was the radio-activity which prevented the usual growth of marine life on the wreck. I think I read somewhere that the level of radio-activity was now well below the danger level - and the divers in the photographs do not seem to wear any protective clothing. If only she could be salvaged! It seems ironic that a wooden battleship like the 'Mary Rose' can survive for 400 years but in 400 years time there will be nothing left of a steel warship.
M.S.Laarman

Post by M.S.Laarman »

http://www.yachting-greece.com/

Above site shows the former Flottentender Hela for sale. This is the largest floating former KM vessel. Not quite a warship, it was used as a floating administration unit.

Yesterday I visited a R-Boot, which also is quite rare. See this site for more detail:

http://www.marine-verein-neuss.de/heimboot.htm

I don't know if any Destroyers of Torpedoboats still survive behind the former iron curtain, might be a slight change..

Kind regards,

Maurice
Jaegi

Post by Jaegi »

the german sail training ship "Horst Wessel" from WWII is now with the US Coast Guard named "Eagle". she is still in service, built at blohm + voss, Hamburg in 1936
duncan
Supporter

Post by duncan »

Hi
The propeller of the PrinzEugene was salvaged and is on display as a part of the Memorial to all seaman in Kiel. U995 is on the beach just below the memorial tower.
Duncan
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

Since she was exposed to the atomic bomb at Bikini Atoll, do the props glow in the dark? :wink:
The Chief
Supporter

Prinz Eugen

Post by The Chief »

Alright I'm not familliar with this ships fate. What was it doing out in the Bikini Islands in a nuclear blast?
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

After she was captured, it became an American war prise it sailed/was towed to the US and eventually was deposed of, along with a number of other ships, during the atomic testing at Bikini Atoll.
Pat D
Supporter

Prinz Eugen

Post by Pat D »

Prinz Eugen lies pretty much intact upside down in shallow water with her bow sticking out of the water. It is a popular dive site. There was some talk several years ago about refloating her but doesn't sound like that will ever happen.
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

It would be a hell of an interesting dive to visit the grave of this fine ship ... the largest ship of the Kriegsmarine to survive the war intact.
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

Not exactly floating but at least above water, the zerstörer Georg Thiele is still to be seen in Rombaksfjord near Narvik, Norway.

regards

Simon
Lustmolch
Supporter

Prinz Eugen as she is today.

Post by Lustmolch »

This site should be of interest to any Prinz Eugen fans:

http://www.liddiard.demon.co.uk/photoix/prinzeugen/
Javier Sandoval
Supporter

E-boat

Post by Javier Sandoval »