Grenadier-Regiment 957 / 363. Volks-Grenadier-Division

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all pals; I'm trying to get some info about the actions carried out by this unit during the period lasted from Nov to 05 Dec 1944. Actually on Dec 05 1944 while serving as a runner (kompanie melder) in this unit was killed in action by artillery fire one fellow countryman, Gefreiter Wilhelm Paul Arnold born in Buenos Aires - Argentina (16.07.1925). He fell at Broich close Jülich and was buried at Titz some town nearby.

Willy was enlisted first into the Luftwaffe at Münich, as an electromechanical technician; then on Aug 26 1944 was drafted into the army.

Willy wearing Luftwaffe uniform.

Shot at 2007-07-26

Source: Datenbank der gefallenen Soldaten des 2. Weltkrieges.
Pic Source: http://home.arcor.de/horvath1/Wilhelm%2 ... niform.jpg

TIA. Cheers. Tigre.
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
richard hedrick
Supporter

Post by richard hedrick »

Tigre

Find below the Kriegsgliederung for 363.VGD as of 1 December 1944 and also a link for combat reports of the LXXXI.A.K. during November and December of 1944. The documents are of very poor quality but if you strain the eyes a bit and can read German some of the information you seek is there. From what I can tell the 363 is first mention on page 46 and the 957.I.R. is mentioned specifically on December 1st. The 363 continues to be mentioned through the end of December.

http://downloads.sturmpanzer.net/Docume ... 5166_2.pdf

Richard

tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Thank you very much Richard, I really appreciate your help. All the best. Tigre.
Henry Jones

Re: Grenadier-Regiment 957 / 363. Volks-Grenadier-Division

Post by Henry Jones »

Hi Tigre,

is there a reason why are you interested in the last days of my great-uncle Willy?
His Wehrpass is still available.

Best regards,
Alex
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; thanks for joining Alex.........At that time I was not interested in your great-uncle Willy particularly, but researching about fellow countrymen who had fought in the Axis side...when I found him in the list of the Datenbank der gefallenen Soldaten des 2. Weltkrieges; just curious how he reached Germany from Argentina and got involved in that great tragedy .......... All the best. Raúl M 8).
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; hey Alex, please could you share here the Wehrpass info regarding the last fights of your great-uncle?. TIA. All the best. Raúl M 8).
Henry Jones

Post by Henry Jones »

Hello Raul,

my great-uncle was born in Buenos-Aires after the Emigration of my great-grandparents in 1922. But my great-uncle actually had (so far I know) the german citizenship. After my great-grandfather became sick in the late 20's the family returned to germany and stood their with their children (other 2 born in Germany) until death.

My great-uncle was precision mechanic by Maerklin, a famous producer of toys and model railroads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4rklin) in Goeppingen. Because he was working for Maerklin he was deferred from military and labour service. In May 1944 he was enlisted and went to the Luftwaffe. First station was the 2nd Co. of the "Ausbildungs-Bataillon für Fliegertechnisches Personal" in Wischau/Mähren. My great-uncle was a enthusiastic glider pilot so this was the reason why he went to the Luftwaffe. The 2nd station after his trainings course was the 4. Co. of "Fliegertechnische Schule 3" at Munich. There he was teached about mechanic of the engine of the airplanes. He was trained to an eletric mechanic in this school.

Then at end of August 1944 he was transfered to the Heer because they needed new soldiers. He went to a army trainings unit "Stammkompanie Grenadier-Ersatz und Ausbildungsbataillon 163" at Kassel. At the beginning of September 1944 he was transfered to the Netherlands , to the 3rd Co. of "Grenadier-Regiment 957" (363. Volksgrenadier-Division) where they fought in the area of Arnheim.

After the retreat to Germany he was killed at the 5th December in the near of Aachen/Köln in the city Broich. He was buried in Titz, a little town near of it.

His fighting history out of the Wehrpass:

"03.05.44 - 25.08.44 Verwendung im Heimatkriegsgebiet"
"04.10.44 - 31.11.44 Kämpfe zwischen Niederrhein und Waal"
"01.12.44 - 05.12.44 Kämpfe nördl. Jülich"

I hope this enough information for you.

Best regards,
Alex
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; Henry Jones wrote................
I hope this enough information for you.
sure it was...thank you very much for your kindness and for sharing it here Alex :up:. Cheers. Raúl M 8).