Robert Rohr

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Robert Rohr and I are looking over some Personalakten at the annual reunion of the SS-Nachrichtenkameradschaft in 1996 at Saalburg.

haen2
WWII Vet

Rohr

Post by haen2 »

Thank you for sharing this valuable stuff with us John. !!!!!
Keep up the good works.
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

I would like to thank everyone who posted their comments here. Last night I printed these pages and mailed them today to the widow of Robert Rohr. I'm sure that it will mean a lot to her. I also told her a little bit about each of you such as Tom H. being a retired USMC NCO and Revellations being a former signal officer in the Australian Army.

John
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

John P. Moore wrote:I would like to thank everyone who posted their comments here. Last night I printed these pages and mailed them today to the widow of Robert Rohr. I'm sure that it will mean a lot to her. I also told her a little bit about each of you such as Tom H. being a retired USMC NCO and Revellations being a former signal officer in the Australian Army.

John
I'm certain youll send her our best. She should find a small measure of comfort that he lived a long life, and is now in the company of so many of his comrades who so sadly did not.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Today I heard from Rudi W., the head of the HIAG in Munich and Feldgrau member. Rudi told me that he had recently spoken to the widow of Robert Rohr and asked me to post some comments here. She said that she had received the printed copy of this thread that I had recently mailed to her. She wants to thank all of the forum members for their kind words.

John
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

That was very nice of you John.

Thanks from all of us for being kind.
Annelie

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

His memories on the last fights:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2por77p.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/23w2uc.jpg

printed in:

Der Freiwillige, Ausgabe 6/1996

Jan-Hendrik
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Jan-Hendrik - Very good of you to post that link.

John
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Robert Rohr

Post by John P. Moore »

It has been some time since anyone posted here and I was reminded of this topic today when I shared it with the grandson living in Australia of a Waffen-SS officer from the former Yugoslavia. The thoughtful words of the veterans Dr. Adalbert Lallier and Haen2 from 2008 bear reading again and will be forever valuable in helping the relatives of non-German veterans to gain a better understanding. I still think often of this good friend, Robert Rohr.

Here is a link to some interesting information about the post-war work of this remarkable man.

http://www.dvhh.org/banat_biographies/r ... ribute.htm

John
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Hi John,

I have a particular interest in Fritz Herzig did Herr Rohr give re any anecdotes re Herzig during his time as Nachrichten Offizier of Schwere SS Panzer Abteilung 503 ?

Regards

Paul
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Hi Paul - Robert Rohr never mentioned Herzig to me. However, he did repeatedly mention another officer from the s.Pz.Abt.503 who he searched for until the time of his death. It was Hstuf. Jakob Göss (or similar spelling) Both men had been wounded in Berlin and were sharing adjacent hospital beds at the time of the May 1945 surrender. Rohr placed ads in the "DF" in an effort to locate Göss and queried other vets from the unit and probably contacted the Red Cross too, but he was never able to locate the man. The was no BDC officer file on the man so perhaps he was a late-war transfer from the Army.

John
Paul E
Supporter

Post by Paul E »

Hi John thanks for that ,

regards

Paul
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

I still think often of this good friend, Robert Rohr.
Myself, too!

All the best

Jan-Hendrik