What the heck is this thing?

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

eric34

What the heck is this thing?

Post by eric34 »

Hello all,

I got a copy of a now-destroyed 16mm film of Milan from April 1945. The film starts with what looks like an Italian M13/40 tank moving about the streets.

Later in the film, a vehicle drives by with what looks like German markings on the front although it seems piloted by partisans (they are also carrying a flag)

Now what makes this interesting is that it's a 4-wheeled vehicle that seems to have tracks as well mounted inboard of the wheels?

I've attached 2 photo stills from the film. in the first, you can see the vehicle approaching on the left, sorry but this is the best view of the front.
armoredcar1.JPEG
armoredcar1.JPEG (101.62 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
The second is after it passes. You can see the tracks in both. Any idea what this vehicle is?
armoredcar2.JPEG
armoredcar2.JPEG (100.81 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
Thanks, Eric
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: What the heck is this thing?

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello Eric,

This is an austrian built Saurer RR7 which was used as prime mover and reconnaissance vehicle.

/Christoph
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Eric, It is as Christoph says, the Germans called it the SdKfz 254 and used it as an artillery OP vehicle. I am amazed to see it in Italy in 1945.
Alan
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Some good close-up photographs on the Sd.Kfz. 254 are shown here...

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/mittlere-g ... -rr-72.htm

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
eric34

Post by eric34 »

Thanks all I do appreciate it.

The film I have consists of various clips, and although I can't be 100% sure... all the activities seem to be filmed in Milan on (or possibly before) April 29th 1945. I've identified some italian tanks and trucks, and there is a column of Shermans followed by a Lee recovery vehicle. I was surprised to see the markings on that vehicle, in that place, and that time. Although the Italian flag seems to make it a

I have yet to identify the people the partisans are rounding up, I'll be working on that next.

For sure the end of the film is April 29th, as Mussolini is put up on display in a crowd of thousands.

One thing I found interesting is that one of the individuals on the back of the vehicle seems to be wearing a Stahlhelm. Most everyone in the film is armed and sporting a variety of weaponry. There seems to be truckloads of men in the start of the film that seem to be partisans, but also seem to be wearing Feldmütze. I would be happy to post additional stills if anyone is interested.
Alanmccoubrey
Contributor

Post by Alanmccoubrey »

Yes please, Eric.
Alan