Podgaje, 1945

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Somosierra
Supporter
Location: POLAND - The Land of Virtue and Valor: "Peior est bello timor ipse belli!"

Podgaje, 1945

Post by Somosierra »

Podgaje was a strong point of German defense on so-called the Pomeranian Wall (Die Pommernstellung). The town was defended by German military group Elster. There were also some other troops, among them German SS and Latvian SS.

On January 31st 1945 German troops took 35 Polish POWs. In captivity three of them attempted to run away (but only one escaped; two other soldiers were shot). Germans in retaliation for escape the prison; remaining 32 Polish POWs tied with prickly wire and burnt alive in a barn.

By the way it is very interesting and actually very sad (it is also against the law of war) how Polish soldiers become prisons. After not very long fight (against Polish reconnaissance company) Germans sent emissaries with message about their proposal of surrender, so after a short negotiation there was an agreement. The Poles waited; but during that time German troops call on reinforcements and attacked the Poles; half of soldiers died, 35 were taken as POWs; what happened next, now you know.
APOCALYPSIS IOANNIS 21, 8:
--
Timidis autem et incredulis et exsecratis et homicidis et fornicatoribus et veneficis et idololatris et omnibus mendacibus, pars illorum erit in stagno ardenti igne et sulphure, quod est mors secunda.
Juergen Fritz

Re: Podgaje, 1945

Post by Juergen Fritz »

:? hello,good mornig!
I'am very interested on the Day's 31.January-3.February 1945 in Podgaje/flederborn
especially what happens to the civilian Population(obviously came by escape out the "Couldron" Podgaje unter Artilleryfire?)
I have translatet some polish accounts on this Topic (Nothing about german negotiation!)If you interested I send more INFO?
in english or German on this topic? Also the Note of the polish escaped POW Zbiegniew Fugala..
For any Help for this Study's very Grateful!
Greetings JFritz
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

hello,good morning!
after I studied the Book:"Latvian Legion" and more Material about "Flederborn/Podgaje"(mostly in polish) I think that the polish Soldiers of "Kosciusco Div" Recce by the 1.Atack on Podgaje in the Woods 300 m for the Village, by Counteratack of the latvian Reg. came from Jastrow, after short Fight taken POW.sWhat happen than I found in the Eyewitness Account of Chorazy (Sergeant) Zbiegniew Fugala..(Comes soon!)
Obviously the Civilpopulation was still in the Village?Many polish sides account to the Atrocity on the polish Soldiers(burnt alive?) that bevor 600 lettische RAD Members in Village Ledyczek/Ledyczka? ca.9km from Podgaje,by"Red Army" Soldiers with shot in the Back of the Head where killed!All Woman there raped..after Podgaje2 Weeks later! I read about the inhuman atrocities in RAD Camp "Wilmsee!" sadistic Tortur and dismembering of females..(come soon more) another Polish Account is there on possible burnt polish Soldiers in March 1945 in Kolobczek(Kolberg) we see the "Spiral of Warcrimes and Hate" develeping ("typical for the Easternfront?!") I come to believe in the "burning alive theorie" especially whenn we can believe the soviet Complains on belorussian Villages and latvian Atrocities there? Also Tortur,dismembering of soviet femal medical Staff and burning of Villages!
An different Idea is that the polish POWs in Podgaje maybe in the Barn by the developing Chaos "forgotten "and burnt there by the Artilleriebarrage? Anyway there a no excuses for the Treatment off the polish POws in the Night from 31.1/1.2.1945 in the Barn. Any friendly answer welcome! greetings Yours J.Fritz
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

hello greetings!
Here in short(have many more) to the escaped polish POW Charazy, Zbiegniew Fugala:Instet to Attack Jastrow,(and without importend Recce?) tired and hungry the 2.Btl.3.polnisches Rgt. attact Podgaje on afternoon 31.1.1945Captain Zalewski..It lookt like the same Time Lewtenant Alfred Sofki with 8o man(maybe mounted,while short on Gas)does Recce over River Gwyda(Kueddow) and comes 300m on to Podgaje(then ocupait by 48.SS Pz.Gren Rgt)in terrible Weathercondition Snowdrifts ect.34.and 32 Latvian waffen Gren.SS Rgt.marched from Jastrow to Podgaje to release 48.Rgt.(tis shall secured Breakout)andca.14h-15h?the 34.latvians see the Attack on Podgaje and Attack the Poles in Flank,driving them back towards River in the Woods..the 32.Rgt.had the order to take Strassfurth/(Radawica?)Bridge there,but can not succeed(No havy Weapons)maybe this Rgt.got in a Figth with Lt.Sofki's man! The Poles lost 50% and run out on Ammunition and Medical Supplys..Lt.Sofki surrendert here Account of Charazy Fugala:..the Latvians not help the Wounded and by Twilight 37 Survivors,some just 19 Years old and Crying in Fright of there Life!Herdet towards Podgaje.In Villagecentre in a big Barn the POWs are strong guarded in Midnight 31.1/2.2.comes a Group "german Officers?"mentioned Ostubaf Hermann Masel(Paul Massel?)and Ostuf.Max Rhode(never faced Courtmartial) and asked who are the polish Officers..noting is said more SS Gren.come and beat the POWs in inhuman Way!Frighting for be shot,ad least Lt.Sofki and the 2 NCOs decided for Flight(only Chorazy Fugala and Corporal Bondzelewsi escaped in Underwoods nearby..Latvians/Germans?on Skies surchen after them,In the Morning the found back.Lt.Sofki?Name not on the Rememberenc Tableau?At least one more Pow Shot.The Fait of the 32 Soldiers in the Barn very tracical:n the 2.February (embarressing and uncomfortable?) bind with Barbed Wire with Gasolin soked burnt alive?!(SS Song,also sung in Latvian) And the Devil laught to this,ha,ha,ha..(typical for Eastern Front?In 1945 no more Mercy for "Red Army" ect.POWS!Now follows the Artilleriebarrage on Podgaje for 10Min.on the Civilians?And stuck there many different Troups..Podgaje and Barn burnt lighted the Battlefield and the brutal Streetfighting. Poles named the Village for a While "Spalinowo" New Fire(1.Fire distroid Village in 1823)Most of German and Latvian Troups escaped to "Landeck"The last polish Attack morning 11h 3.February by 1.Btl.1.Rgt.DP (Inf.Div.)to Midday the 3.Rgt.with Tanks SU 78 and T-34 by 12.30h the "pulveriesed"Flederborn are taken..The first Polish Soldiers arrived on the burning Barn are in Chock to found the Corpses of there Comrades,later where the Barn are sunk in the Ground first a Cross of Oak are erected than A "Pomnic" Stone/Concret in Size of the Barn build up so near by a Tableau to remember the Names of the murderd polish Soldiers.
For any more Help and INFO on This very Thgankful"Yours J.Fritz
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

hello,greetings!
The Atrocities in RAD "Lager Wilmsee" are to gruesom for me to describe.. only People with strong nerves shall read it?
You found the Pages in "Internet"RAD Wilmsee" This happened (Eyewitness account) on the 16-18.February 1945 by Neustettin (Szetzcinek) Pommerania Poland today.. %E I really wish it is not true?But maybe a terrible escalated Revenge after Massacre Podgaje?
Here are a new "View" for the last Days of the Eastern Front?
If someone knows more please let me Know?
greetings J.Fritz
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

:D Hello,greetings!
Maybe some one knows about the obviously Germann Officers Ostubaf.Hermann Masel and Ostuf.Max Rhode?,mentioned in Polish account on Podgaje,(not identical with "Paul Massel",fallen by breakout Couldron Podgaje/Flederborn on 2.February 1945? Also Ostubaf.Sigfried Scheibe then in Command 48. SS PZ Gren Reg. and the Circumstances of the Death of Ostubaf.Erich Wulf,leading the Breakout of Podgaje/Flederborn? Fate of the german civil Population?
For any INFO very Thankful!
greetings J.Fritz
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

:D hello greetings!The polish Director Pawel Komorowski made the Film:"Elegia"in 1979 about the Tragedy in 2.February 1945 at Podgaje/Flederborn(german) ?Have somone seen this b/w Film?with undertitles?
%E
greetings J Fritz
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

:shock: Hello, %E
I found something about the Life of Lieutenant Alfred Sofka,(he lead the Recce on Podgaje with 80 Man on 31 january 1945) His hopeless fight for Podgaje and that he was killed(pobably shot? by escape..)on his 24.thBirthday(1.2.1945) Postumus(for exceptinal bravery awardet the silver Cross:"Virtuti military V. Class" by Order of Supreme Commander WP No.1191 from 5.12.1945(his Name in the List of this Order) :D
greetings J.Fritz
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

:D hello!
A Picture of Lieutenant Alfred Sofki in Internet under "Nadanie szole imienia"!
The unfortunatet Companie Commander der" 4.pp Kosciuszko"died on his 24.th Birthday %E in the Text stand also the desperate Fight to the last Cartridge and was happened,but I can still not see If he died by his escape?(Shot?) His Name not on the rememberence Tableau,also not Chorazy Zbiegniew Fugala and Corporal B.?!We know that Fugala escaped..the ander two maybe shot dead? %E
Greetings J.Fritz
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

:DWitam :? ,Somosierra!
My Question on you:How you got your INFO on Podgaje 1945?
In Czorazyms Fugala's Report I can not see any Negotiations with the Germans/Latvians?!
Do You know more about the Fate of the escapee's? Was Podporusznik Alfred Sofki shot dead?
For any INFO very thankful,dziencuje!
Yours Juergen(Jerzy) :?
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Letten in der Pommernschlacht by Jan-Hendrik Wendler...

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

Hell
Jan-Hendrik wrote:Letten in der Pommernschlacht by Jan-Hendrik Wendler...

:[]

Jan-Hendrik
:D Hello dear Jan-Hendrik,greetings!
I like your Report on Fight about "Flederborn"/Podgaje
and want to bring an "Update in the Forum"
and maybe please tell me what you think of my Topic/pictures ect. so far?
also an Answer in german is OK(I'am native German)
Thanks&best Regards
Yours Juergen
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

update...

Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

Here a Picture of Obersturmbannfuehrer Siegfried Scheibe-was he envolved?
Ostubaf.S.Scheibe.jpg
Ostubaf.S.Scheibe.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 15516 times
%E
Juergen Fritz

Post by Juergen Fritz »

Here a better Print of my Translation 8)
Attachments
Translation.jpg
Translation.jpg (202.32 KiB) Viewed 15515 times