Distribution of VK601 (Pz.1 Ausf. C)

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Commissar D, the Evil

Distribution of VK601 (Pz.1 Ausf. C)

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Folks,

I'm aware that this question more pproperly belongs in the "Weapons and Equipment" section. But, as it was a rare vehicle, I thought that more people would view the question here than in that sub-forum.

Anyway, the VK601 was a development of the old Pz.1. It entered service as the Panzerkampfwagen 1 Ausf. C. Only 40 were produced, all by Krauss-Maffei (chassis) and Daimler Benz (superstructures and turrets) between July and December 1942. I can't seem to find out where they went, except that 3 were issued to S.S. sPz. Abt. 103 (Later renamed 503) and apparently 2 were issued to 1st Panzer Division in 1943.
This vehicle interests me for the simple reason that, on first glance, it looks similar to a Luchs (Sd.Kfz. 123), which was itself a development of the Pz. II.

I'm awaiting the proper booklet by Tom Jentz. At this point, I'm just following up on what seems to be a tantalizing similarity between the two vehicles.

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Commissar D, the Evil

Re: Distribution of VK601 (Pz.1 Ausf. C)

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Oh, found the following technical data on a website:

GENERAL DATA
Other Designations Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf. C., PzKpfw I nA, VK601
Manufacturer(s) Krauss-Maffei
Production Quantity 40 Production Period Jul.-Dec. 1942
Type Light/Recon Tank Crew 2
Length /hull (m) 4.19 Barrel Overhang (m) 0
Width /with skirts (m) 1.92 Height (m) 1.94
Combat Weight (kg) 8000 Radio Equipment FuG Spr Ger 'a'
FIREPOWER
Primary Armament 1 x EW141 MG Ammunition Carried n.a.
Traverse (degrees) Manual (360°) Elevation (degrees) -10° to +20°
Traverse speed (360°) - Sight TZF10
Secondary Armament 1 x 7.92mm MG34
(coaxial) Ammunition Carried n.a.

http://www.onwar.com/tanks/germany/data/pz1c.htm

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
hero.
Supporter

Re: Distribution of VK601 (Pz.1 Ausf. C)

Post by hero. »

Hello Commissar D !

A few remarks to this interesting vehicle :

1.) A number of sources mention that 2 units Pz. I C were sent to 1. PzDiv. in Russia at the beginning of 1943.
! => But, 1. Pz.Div left 9th army on 20th of Dec, 1942 and arrived at Amiens, France, in January 1943 for rest and refit.
In February 1943, the division was transfered to Rennes (s.b.). At that time, the division received preliminary equipment in the form of Somua and Hotchkiss tanks. [All information according to the divisional history by R. Stoves]

2.) According to the following two links (and maybe some more) the remaining 38 tanks were sent to LVIII Res.Korps
in France, which had the 155. and 179. Res.Pz.Div. under its command. Both were Training units.
http://www.wwiivehicles.com/germany/tan ... ausf-c.asp
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/panzerkampfwagen-i.htm

! => But, LVIII Res. Korps was only formed on July, 28th, 1943, when a few days later Pz.Div. Nr. 179, and Pz.Div. Nr. 155
were sent to France and were renamed as Reserve-Pz.Divisions [Tessin]. Res.Pz.Div. 155 was located in Rennes.

So the following questions remain :? :
- Were there ever some Pz. I C sent to Russia for troop trials (to the 1. Pz.Div. or somewhere else) ?
- Or were a number of Pz I C sent to 1. PzDiv. (to Rennes) and later handed over to 155. Res.Pz.Div. ?
- Or were almost all of Pz I C sent to LVIII. Res.Pz.Korps as late as August 1943, more than 6 - 8 month after production ?
- Any other suggestions ?!

3.) The main weapon of the Pz I C besides the MG 34, the EW 141, should have been a Pz.-Büchse. There are many conflicting informations on its calibre. It ranges from 7,92mm here
http://www.panzerworld.net/pzkpfwi
to 13 mm (Hahn, Waffen u. Geheimwaffen) to 20 mm (see links above). Which source is correct ?

4.) Just a sidenote : In the book of Werner Oswald, Kraftfahrzeuge der Reichswehr, Wehrmacht und Bundeswehr (which I usually regard as a reliable source) a number of 46 produced units is given, while almost every other source states 40 units.
Is this just a typo ?!

When I started to answer this post, I was simply following some hints, that many of this Pz I C might have been used for
training purposes. Now I may have raised only some more questions, instead of giving some answers.
But perhaps I was at least able to give some clues for further research 8) !

Best regards,
hero.