Accounts/Memoirs of the Eastern Front

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Heimatkurs

Accounts/Memoirs of the Eastern Front

Post by Heimatkurs »

Hello everyone. This is my first post although I have been reading threads here and taking advantage of the mountain of knowledge assembled by Mr. Pipes and other contributors for a long time.

I am doing research for a work of historical fiction I am doing as a school project. I am primarily interested in personal accounts (memoirs, etc.) by German soldiers on the Eastern Front at different stages of the war -- from Barbarossa to Bagration. What I am looking for is detailed descriptions of the day-to-day operations of these soldiers in their units (preferably infantry) and their personal thoughts about pretty much everything -- their orders, their commanders, their government, the enemy they were fighting, etc.

I have access to a library with lots of book but I am looking for sources that are online, freely available and in English. I know this is a tall order and I realize that there probably are not a lot but that is why I am coming here for help. I don't have a lot of money to spend so I'd rather not spend any if I can help it.

I would like to add a special thanks to Tigre, who has done an excellent job posting here and elsewhere from such memoirs and personal accounts. Although sometimes his translations have been a little hard to understand, he (at least I assume it is a he) has improved his English immensely and his translations are usually the best around -- and he provides them free of charge, for everyone to enjoy. A big thank you to him. :up:

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance people can provide.
tigre
Patron

Re: Accounts/Memoirs of the Eastern Front

Post by tigre »

Hello Heimatkurs :D; thanks for your kind words and yes I'm He, and also I'm trying hard to improve my english (mainly due my posts here and elsewhere) a big task taking in account my mother tongue is indeed spanish and I'm translating from the German (sometimes for a better understanding I must translate German to spanish then to english) but anyway glad my efforts be useful for someone else.

¡Felices Pascuas! - Happy Easter! - Joyeuses Pâques! - Frohe Ostern! - Feliz Páscoa! - Buona Pasqua! - Wesołych Świąt!

Cheers. Raúl M 8).

PS:
Although sometimes his translations have been a little hard to understand
glad to know it was just a little... :evil:
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
Heimatkurs

Post by Heimatkurs »

Translating from German to Spanish to English is very impressive and you are to be commended. I can only speak one language! Thank you again for all your hard work.
Bittrich
Contributor

Post by Bittrich »

I just want to wish you good luck on your school project. There are numerous sources on the internet, but actual veterans are always the best source. I have found that most veterans do not want to talk too much about combat, but maily there experiences. For example my Grandfather talked about meeting Patton, and Bradley, but never talked too much about fighting after landing in Normandy. As I said good luck.

Tigre I have read some of your posts and Thank you for your work. I enjoy reading them even if I do not post replies.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Thank you Bittrich :wink: . Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.