Panzerjager unit organisation, 1941-43

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Starfury Rider

Panzerjager unit organisation, 1941-43

Post by Starfury Rider »

I was looking recently at the variations in organisation for the Panzerjager Abt found in Panzer and Infantry Divs during the mid-war period. I eventually came to the conclusion that even the authorised totals are too baffling to contend with, let alone actual strengths!

Two points though I wondered if anyone could enlighten me on. First off, frequent mention is made of a Light Flak Coy with eight 2-cm guns and two Flakvierling. I've looked through the list of KStN of Leo Niehorster's orbat site, but I cannot find any mention of a unit with this mix of equipment. It's quoted quite often, and while I know many KStN are gone I'm surprised there is no record of it.

Secondly, the first self-propelled Panzerjager units using Marder equipments appear to have fielded six guns, from late 1941. I cannot find reference to a KStN for a SP Coy with 7.5-cm or 7.62-cm weapons until well into 1942, and then with nine guns. There are though KStN for Platoon elements with three guns, issued as Teilenheit tables, but with no corresponding Coy HQ that I can find mention of. Anyone know if there was a separate HQ table issued, and probably lost?

Both obscure queries, I appreciate, but if anyone might know something about them I'd be much obliged.
Tanker Mike
Supporter

Re: Panzerjager unit organisation, 1941-43

Post by Tanker Mike »

I don't know if you have looked here.

http://www.sturmpanzer.com/Default.aspx ... =0&tabid=1
"It is well war is so terrible, we should grow too fond of it."
-Gen. Robert E. Lee
Commissar D, the Evil

Re: Panzerjager unit organisation, 1941-43

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi,

I don't have the books with me at the moment but as to this:
I cannot find reference to a KStN for a SP Coy with 7.5-cm or 7.62-cm weapons until well into 1942
My recollection is that the first Marder III was produced in April of 1942 and the first Marder II around the same time, so it doesn't surprise me that you are unable to find a KStN for units equipped with such vehicles until mid-1942.

Bestens,
~D, the EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....