Panzer Reg. Bake

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

afrika.90light
Supporter

Panzer Reg. Bake

Post by afrika.90light »

I am painting Bakes Tiger and would like to know If it should be Dunkelgelb only and what would his tank number be.Any info for this project would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
William
Martin Block
Enthusiast

Re: Panzer Reg. Bake

Post by Martin Block »

Hi William,

Is it confirmed that Oberstlt. Dr. Baeke actually did use a Tiger? The s.Pz.Rgt. Baeke was an improvised unit formed by temporary (late Jan until late Feb 1944) placing s.Pz.Abt. 503 (Tiger) and II./Pz.Rgt. 23 (Panther) under the command of Stab Pz.Rgt. 11.
According to an article compiled by Michael Schadewitz (author of the regimental history of Pz.Rgt. 11 a. o.) Oberstlt. Dr. Baeke arrived in Winniza to take over command of the new regiment on the evening of 22.1.1944 with the Stab Pz.Rgt. 11 including 2 Befehlspanzer numbered '901' and '902'. Schadewitz does not specify the type of tanks but records of the 6. Pz.Div. do show that there were only 2 command tanks in the Stab Pz.Rgt. 11 available in January 1944, i.e. 2 Pz.Bef.Wg. III armed with 5 cm guns.
So at best Dr. Baeke could have temporary borrowed a Tiger I from s.Pz.Abt. 503. According to W. Schneider's 'Tigers in Combat I' the 3 Tigers of the Abt.Stab were numbered 'I', 'II' and 'III'.
From the same book: "In the spring time of 1943 the tanks were repainted in a strange mixture of dark yellow-green-olive. The tanks had black turret numbers with a white outline. ... During the winter of 1943/44 the tanks again had the whitewash, very often obscuring the Balkenkreuz. The turret numbers were left open so they looked like solid black."

Hope that helped a little

Martin Block
afrika.90light
Supporter

Post by afrika.90light »

Hi Martin
Thanks for your reply. I am in the very early stages of my research. Knowing from both mine and others past posts, your info goes to the top of my research list. I am modeling this unit for gameing use. Interesting colors though. The dark yellow would seem to be the dunkelgelb base of the time. The green I'll have to think about. As for Dr. Baekes tank, I've no knowledge and that is not really important in the game. I've been wanting to paint a winter army and this may just be it.
Again thanks for your knowledge.
William
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Is it confirmed that Oberstlt. Dr. Baeke actually did use a Tiger?
Yes, temporarly for sure, according to a Gunner/ later Commander of 3./503 :wink:

:[]

Jan-Hendrik