Movies

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
buzz

Re: Movies

Post by buzz »

Just to change the subject, what does everyone think about Band of Brothers? It was a great story line but not sure how accurate it was.
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hello Buzz:
I guess it was as accurate as the memories of the men who served with the unit. I liked it, both the book and mini-series, but I dislike much of the hype surrounding it. The paratroopers were good soldiers without a doubt, but it seems some folks now think they were the only good troops the US fielded during the war. There were plenty of good soldiers in the "leg" outfits, who fought just as well and saw far more combat. Just my opinion. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

John

The paratroops had a vital advantage in maintaining themselves as high quality units despite very high casualties: better quality replacements.

The para's replacements had to have jump training and were often highly motivated. With the late war exception of ASTP cadres the 'leg" outfits received replacements of indifferent quality / training.

And what's the old joke? (told in many languages) "How many photographers in an airborne platoon?"

cheers
Reb
John W. Howard

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi Reb:
Some of what you say is true, but some of the leg outfits came to Europe well trained, not to airborne standards, but still well trained: 104ID under Terry Allen comes to mind as well as the 3ID. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

John

True enough.

The problem for leg units was that quite a number of them had been peeled (cadred) out as replacements for divisions already in combat - then filled back up with recruits - thus losing the benefit of organizational training and unit cohesion. The 106th was an example of that. The 104th was never cadred (IIRC) and had the advantage of being commanded by Terry Allen.

cheers
Reb