Volksgrenadier waffenfarbe

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

panzergrenadier

Volksgrenadier waffenfarbe

Post by panzergrenadier »

What color of waffenfarbe did Volksgrenadier troops wear into battle. And does anyone know any good internet sites/books that detail the unforms, equipment, and operational histories of the Volsgrenadier units? Thanks.
LowTech
Supporter

Post by LowTech »

Volksgrenadiers didn't have their own Waffenfarbe. Instead, all Wehrmacht forces wore colors that were based upon their specific battalion or regiment type.

Check out http://members.shaw.ca/deutschesoldaten/. It has lots of good basic information about uniforms and insignia.

LowTech
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Waffenfarben

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I thought waffenfarben were based on branch of service? White-infantry, rose-armor, red-artillery, etc.....
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
LowTech
Supporter

Post by LowTech »

I thought waffenfarben were based on branch of service? White-infantry, rose-armor, red-artillery, etc.....
This often causes confusion. The Landser website I referenced in my earlier post offers the following explanation, which might help:
In all cases, Waffenfarben were determined by the soldier's battalion or regiment, not his trade. A medic serving in an infantry regiment wore white [the color associated with infantry]. If, however, he served in the medical battalion of an infantry division, he wore the cornflower blue of medical troops.
There was no specific Waffenfarbe for Volksgrenadiers.

LowTech
Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Paul Hanson
Contributor

volksgrenadier Waffenfarbe

Post by Paul Hanson »

Waffenfarbe is worn in Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS units based upon the arm of service, period. "Volksgrenadier" is a title, not an arm of service. Therfore the Infantrie units in a VG unit wore white, the Aufklärungs units golden-yellow, the Panzerjäger units rosepink, etc, etc, etc.

If you have a question on the Waffenfarbe worn by a specific unit within a VG Division that is one question; but VG Divisions did not in themselves have a specific Waffenfarbe.