"Baby blitz"???

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Rolf Steiner
Associate

"Baby blitz"???

Post by Rolf Steiner »

Not a teutonic population boom, but something that happened in '43/44 involving ME410s, according to RAF Cosford's website... never heard of this before??
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
hucks216
Contributor

Re: "Baby blitz"???

Post by hucks216 »

V.(Z)/KG 2 used ME-410's to attack the UK. The unit was formed on 20th June 1943 and it suffered it's first loss on 27th June 1943 and conducted nuisance raids against RAF bomber airfields and London in July 1943, and then as night fighters over the UK during August-September before resuming nuisance raids against London for the remainder of 1943 & early 1944.

There were possibly other ME 410 equipped units involved but I don't have the time at the moment to have a proper check. I hope this helps though.

Source: Bomber Units Of The Luftwaffe 1933-1945 vol 1 by Henry L de Zeng & Douglas G Stankey
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

Further to my last...

Stab & I/KG 51 also conducted raids over the UK with ME 410's during 1943 & 1944.

There is also the heavy fighter units to consider as well.
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

The general concensus by the Luftwaffe commanders on the ground and officers like Galland, was that the whole excercise was a waste of time and resources, mainly planes and trained pilots. If i remember correctly Hitler ordered the assualts in vengeance for raids on Germany and Peltz was promoted to Kampffuhrerengland (?) and ordered to direct the raids.
By this time though British anti air defences and nightfighters were more than up to the challenge of picking off small formations and single night raiders and eventually the raids were withdrawn in favour for the V1 and V2 attacks and also to due to the unacceptable attrition.
As Baumbach said: Fighter pilots and Bomber pilots are two different breads of men and cannot carry out each others functions and bomber units cannot be trained overnight to be fighter pilots. The crews of KG 51 had only recently be converted from Ju 88's to Me 410's, a much faster and manouevrable aircraft, if i remember correctly this, combined with long flying hours and stress, led to accidents and crews becoming lost.
Hope this helps and i hope i've not rambled on too much :D
Cheers
Chris
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"