Stuka identification

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
jerijerod
Supporter

Stuka identification

Post by jerijerod »

Hi guys and girls,

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a stuka for me please. I work at the IWM in the post room and any unassigned mail has to be opened and the department verified from the contents, the other day a lady was clearing out her loft and found some photographs she no longer wanted and was donating them to the museum, most were of soldiers in the dessert, Baltimores on a runway and a Spitfire landing (although i thought it looked more like a hurricane,) but the one that peaked my interest was that of a crashed Stuka with a group of soldiers posing with it. The aircraft number (although partially obscured by a Soldier) was (unknown) 8 +KN. the red was possibly in Red. Just out of personal interest really I was wondering which unit she had served with and who and what happened to the crew? I know it was in the dessert so its dated somewhere between 1941 and 3?
Any info would be great but not to worry if there is none, I was just wondering really.
Thanks all
Chris
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
hucks216
Contributor

Re: Stuka identification

Post by hucks216 »

Can you post the pic?
hucks216
Contributor

Post by hucks216 »

At this link is a list of unit codes - it appears that ?8+KN belonged to a NSG (Nachtschlachtgruppe): E8+ = NSG 9 / V8+ = NSG 1
but I don't believe these two units served in Africa (maybe the picture was taken in an area of Italy which would certainly fit NSG 9)... http://www.ww2.dk (in the Miscellaneous section under Unit Identification Markings). From what I can find out StG 1 (Code A5+), StG 2 (Code T6+), StG3 (Codes 2F+, S7+ & S1+) were the only Stuka units in Africa. Maybe another member knows more details and can help out.

Sources: Luftwaffe Squadrons In North Africa (author unknown)
Hitler's Stuka Squadrons by John Ward (ISBN:1-86227-246-8)
Ghost Bombers - The Moonlight War Of NSG 9 by Nick Beale (ISBN: 1-903223-15-6)
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

Hi Hucks,

Thanks for this. Unfortunatly once the mail is identified it has to be passed on :( a bit of a shame as it was a nice picture, i should have photocopied it!
I was in one of our discount book shops on Saturday and was leafing through a book called "Axis aircraft of WWII when i happened on the Stuka section. There was an image of a "Dora" With the same desert pattern camoflage and a similiar number with the Red K and that had been in StG. 3.
It could have easilly been taken in Italy of a crashed NSG "Dora" it does seem that the soldier had been in the 8th army.

Any who, thanks very much for the help
Chris
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"