Starting out on microfilm

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
wombat
Supporter

Starting out on microfilm

Post by wombat »

I just recently started out on microfilm from the NARA, as my hobby just went from buying books, visiting places related to WW2 and a lot of browsing on the web. I always wanted to go deeper into exploring history and now finally as my age and money permits the time has come to really start researching the period of time where my interest lies.

I have ordered the first roll of microfilm this last wednesday, roll T314J. My interest lies with the LXXXVII & LXXXIX A.K. and the occupational divisions in the coastal areas of the Netherlands and Belgium. I really don't know what kind of expectations I have of the files, but after I printed almost every indexlist I found interesting on sturmpanzer.com (A.O.K., A.K. and Divisions) my guess was just to start somewhere.

So, I guess this will be my first steps into becoming a buff. I guess I will be visiting here more regulary as the roll(s) are coming in, hoping to learn more from all of you!

One question still remains on my mind, I only found 1 roll pertaining to the W.Bfh.Ndl, and it only consists of 2 pages. Did I look wrong? There should be a ton of pages on the W.Bfh.Ndl & M.Bfh.Belgien & Nordfrankreich but on which guides are these presented?

I'm really interested in the KstN and OoB of these two Bfh. around the timeperiod of 1940-1942.

Also, if anyone is interested, when I got some rolls maybe it is nice to trade with other members who have the same interest. Maybe we can work out some trading?

My best regards,
wombat
Supporter

Re: Starting out on microfilm

Post by wombat »

ofcourse I meant T314J roll 1613
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Wombat, I have done this for only 6 months or so, and other than reading the NARA index, I dont know what else you can do. Each roll is kind of like a blind date - you never know exactly what you are going to get.

See the archival data forum - I just posted links to material for LXXXVIII corps for 1944-45, and I think there is some material that pertains to your studies.

Did you get any info on 347 or 719th divisions ?

thanks,

Mad Dog
wombat
Supporter

Post by wombat »

My intention was to first complete the LXXXVII AK and after that, beginning with the divisions. I think that it is easier to complete the rolls than ordering everytime something else...
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

I mean to say were there any gliederung or other information on the rolls you already have. I found a lot of gliederung in the anlagen rolls I got.

thanks,

Mad Dog
wombat
Supporter

Post by wombat »

I haven't got any rolls yet. I just ordered my first one. I will keep you update on my findings.

Are the anlagen you have put on sturmpanzer complete rolls? i.e. 1625 and 1626 are they complete?
MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Yes, the 1625 and 1626 are complete. I will add others as I get them.

Mad Dog