"SSinister" Veteran Memorial Event in Ulrichsberg Austria

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

ghp95134
Supporter

"SSinister" Veteran Memorial Event in Ulrichsberg Austria

Post by ghp95134 »

"Frail War Vets ... or Something More SSinister"

Apparently this memorial was attended by both Wehrmacht and W-SS veterans, but it becomes -- to the reporter -- an SS gathering! The author overemphasises the "Waffen-SSness" of this Veteran gathering in Ulrichsberg, Austria: "Frail War Vets ... or Something More SSinister. Unfortunately a group of US skinheads was in attendance! They ought to be barred by the Vet Organizations.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 730485.ece
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jq0 ... HQm6e3e4mg

Nice image of Messrs Dorsch & Niessen. Niessen is Dutch from Eindhoven.

And why do the reporters emphasize that no one spoke of the Holocost or Jews? Is it a requirement to state a given?

Cheers,
--Guy
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: "SSinister" Veteran Memorial Event in Ulrichsberg Austria

Post by John P. Moore »

Thanks for posting that Guy. While I have never attended an Ulrichsberg Treffen, my understanding of the gathering is that it is a place for former members of the German Wehrmacht from all countries to come together to remember the war dead. Unfortunately, the Ulrichsberg has attracted a number of nut groups from the right and left who want to use the site to promote their extreme causes. A few years ago vandals broke up many of the commemorative stone plaques associated with the veteran groups. I wish these extremist nut groups would go elsewhere and I hope that none of them are Feldgrau members.

John
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Apparently this memorial was attended by both Wehrmacht and W-SS veterans, but it becomes -- to the reporter -- an SS gathering! The author overemphasises the "Waffen-SSness" of this Veteran gathering in Ulrichsberg, Austria: "Frail War Vets ... or Something More SSinister
I doubt it was perceived only a SS gathering.

Its unfortunate that there are people whom feel so insecure and powerless in their own
lives that they must align themselves in their mind that which represents strength and a tough image!
Unfortunately its the Vets that end up with a negative feedback.

Yes, why cannot people respect these Veterans to leave them alone in certain times when they
wish to attend these memorials?
Annelie

Post by Paul E »

As far as i can gather the main memorials are to Gebirgsjager units but of course many different veterans attend, the "undercover" reporter from the Sun which is a low class British Tabloid obviously found his sensational angle to his story when he found out that a few Waffen SS Vets were there.

As has been stated unfortunately some of the usual far right hangers on have also attended , including some American guy from a group called the Sharkhunters patently trying to look like Hitler !!! which has given the press a field day on what is basically a bunch of old Vets and their familes getting together to remember those who didn't come back.

Luckily most of the meetings and reunions i have attended have been free from these type of people.

Why this reporter from the Sun has gone " undewrcover " at this particular Treffen is as yet unknown ??

regards

Paul
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Well given that one of the sources for this story is from The Sun newspaper, there usage of certain colourful attention grabbing grammer doesn't surprise me.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
ghp95134
Supporter

Post by ghp95134 »

Andy H wrote:Well given that one of the sources for this story is from The Sun newspaper, there usage of certain colourful attention grabbing grammer doesn't surprise me.
Right! .... the "SSun" :D Isn't that the "newspaper" that sells only because of Page Three? If readers don't understand my quip .... conduct a Google search for "sun newspaper, page 3" and open the Images tab. Now, THAT's reporting! :shock:

--Guy
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

....and remember to set your Google preferences for "no filtering" first!!! :evil:
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

The Sun has the highest circulation figures of any British newspaper. It's almost down on a level with the National Enquirer. They probably wrote the story as a follow-up to the election results in Austria. Having been to a few reunions in Germany and other places myself, spoiled by self-described neo-nazi elements consisting of the kind of dregs any self-respecting paleo-nazi would take out of circulation, it is a troubling spectacle indeed and they ought to be barred from attendance. However, who will keep them away? The police? Not likely! It suits too many agendas to see these rallies and memorial events brought into disrepute. Still, there might be a change in Austria given the election results but not in Germany anytime soon, as that country is currently run by former DDR people from Merkel downwards.

PK