Need book reviews before placing an order!

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

darkertomcat
Supporter

Need book reviews before placing an order!

Post by darkertomcat »

I am considering getting the book by Franz Kurowski on the Brandenburger commandos as well as the books on the 12th Waffen SS Panzer and on Michael Wittman and the Panzer commanders of the LAH (1st Waffen SS Panzer), all done by the publishing house that does the stackpole military series.

Been reading alot of mixed reviews on all the books in question, can anyone provide me with a consise answer if they are worth getting?

Regards,
Mike
"Life is not a support system for art, its the other way around."- Stephen King
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Worth getting? Yes, absolutely. Especially in their new soft cover format since they are now very affordable. If you can find them used they are even better. They contain some good info and some decent foundational material but they are not without their faults, errors, and mistakes. I believe the book on the 12th SS is considered the better of the those you mentioned. There are some differences between the original Fedorowitz editions and the new editions also, including format style, print quality, photos, and maps. There may be some other differences too that I am unaware of. Overall good works but not the final or best ones on their respective topics.
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

What would you consider the best ones on the topic especially on the LAH?

Regards
Mike
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

LAH - the only book to read is the divisional history (five volumes!). It's outstanding. Detailed and also very human with many first-person accounts.
Agte's Wittmann book is very good, again many first-hand accounts, but Agte's political leanings are not to everyone's likings.
Meyer's 12th SS history is outstanding, similar in quality to the LAH.
I cannot, in all honesty, recommend a book by Franz Kurowski, however. Most of his work is pulp history, churned out with absolutely minimal research. He often blurs fact with fiction and invariably there are no references. You'll find plenty of posts on here about his work and even more on the German language forums where he gets quite a pasting.
Hope that helps
:[]
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Epaminondas
Supporter

Post by Epaminondas »

The flip side being if you can't find anything else in a language you can read Franz Kurowski does make entertaining bathroom reading.

Its on the level of Paul Carrell (sp?).

Good feel for the how a person might have felt or done something... but not history or an after action report.
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

Thank you everyone for the info, where could I find that five volume set if its still being published and on average what is the price of it?

Regards,
Mike
Richard Hargreaves
Author

Post by Richard Hargreaves »

You'll have to buy the five volume set in individual volumes. Copies of all are around but for a complete set, you're looking at paying upwards of £200/$400. :shock:

This chap is selling the last three volumes, for example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Leibstandarte ... dZViewItem
No-one who speaks German could be an evil man
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I've seen single volumes for sale from time at local used book stores, some even very affordable, but as a complete set I believe it's out of print and very expensive.
darkertomcat
Supporter

Post by darkertomcat »

Thanks for the info on that. All I can say is Wow :shock: though I did expect it, lol.

Mostly what I am looking for are books that would help me fill out my knowledge as a reenactor while I do have some in regards to weapons, some battles and units I relize that my knowledge is rather scant at the same time especially on the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine. If possible would like to know some books on good general info on all branches as well as things on language instruction.

Regards,
Mike