Movie title(?) about British SAS...

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

Movie title(?) about British SAS...

Post by L. Kafka »

This is an '80s movie I'm that I'm trying to rememer the title of. It was about a British SAS commando who infiltrates a terrorist group after he is made to look like he was kicked out of the SAS and turned into a disgruntled type seeking revenge on the SAS. The world "final" may be b in the title of this movie. Anyone know it and its year of release?
"What are they going to do, send me to Vietnam?"
A oft heard GI refrain in Vietnam in '68.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

"Who Dares Wins" 1982, with Lewis Collins
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Retitled "The Final Option" for the US market.
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

Roger that...

Post by L. Kafka »

I will look on imdb.com to see what sort of ratings viewers gave The Final Option. I rather liked the story and was trying to remember it. Thanks...
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

It bombed in the cinemas in the UK. It was (rightly) regarded as an attempt to cash in on the SAS' "superhuman" status gained in the public eye after the events surrounding the Iranian Embassy Siege...and it was released at a time when the cinema industry was in sharp decline here, but the straight-to-video industry for hire and sale hadn't taken off.

I saw it on its first television showing here a couple of years later....and thought it was a turkey, it was still too close to the real-life events of the siege. It didn't appear again for many years but I recently saw it on satellite - with time distancing it from the events it was cashing in on, it's actually now quite good in its own right.

But then again....how many WWII veterans' thought all the old war films of the late 1940s and 1950s were turkeys ;-)
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

There's a group of UK comedians who put rubbish films on at the barbican and then make fun of them while they play (Stewart Lee is one of them, can't remember the others), but I'm pretty sure they singled this film out for attention some time ago!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Measured against modern "TV movies" its fine, full of TV-grade characterisations like Tony Doyle's bluff SAS officer, and Collins' SAS undercover role simply wasn't as good as his TV role in The Professionals. But in 1982 noone actually made 2-hour movies for television only - so it went to the big screen and bombed...and sh1t sticks LOL
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

Fans of "Force 10 From Navarone"

Post by L. Kafka »

Perhaps a organization of groupies for military theme movies could be formed around such cinematic gems : wink: . A rainy Saturday afternoon with some cocktails and...Barbara Bach in "Force 10."

"Force 10" and other movies like "The Final Option" may not be the...final option, but they tend to be adequate fill-ins for footie. Oh, speaking of footie, how about some "Victory" with Sylvester Stallone and Michael Caine?
Snaffleman

Post by Snaffleman »

I know SAS movies from the 90s like 'The one that got away' and 'Bravo two zero'. Never seen the second one i mentioned though id like to.

Have there been movies about the Aussie SASR?
You can't beat a bit of sniffle-snaffle, or maybe the indy 500