M1937 Field jacket???

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Paulus II
Patron

M1937 Field jacket???

Post by Paulus II »

Just came across this model jacket and had never heard of it before.

A search didn't turn up anything so.......a very uncommon garment or a typing error??

Thanks in advance,

Paul
timmy872
Supporter

Post by timmy872 »

well it seems to be more than a one off error if it is... the link at the bottom is "lost battalions" they normally know their stuff. from what i can gather the designation is either the year it was commissioned, produced, or entered service. depending on what scale is used is whether its qutoed as M36/ or 37. a quick look at the pic on the link and i cant see any obvious differences to the "36". but then again the germans didnt use all the designations and just got by with the "new" or an "old" style i suppose.

"With the introduction of the SS M-1937 field uniform the LAH and Verfüngstruppe adopted the Army's field-gray for the first time. The entire uniform was almost completely copied from the Army's M-1936 uniform. Trousers were almost identical to Army M-36 pattern and the blouse was also of the same pattern, except for the four button front (which could be worn open with a tie or closed), the field-gray collar, the internally hung lower pockets with slanting flaps, and the shallow top pocket flaps (which resurfaced later on some M42 style SS blouses). The blouse also incorporated the Army's new internal canvas load bearing suspenders, eliminating the need for the wide webbing suspenders previously used on the earth gray field uniform. Accordingly, the two belt hooks, one on each side, used on the earth-gray M34 field blouse were replaced with four.

This uniform, alongside the earth-gray M34 field uniform, was the predominant uniform worn by the troops of the new LAH and Verfügungstruppe (later Das Reich) Divisions from the invasion of Poland through the end of the early stages of the campaign in Russia (1939-1941). The new Totenkopf and Polizei Divisions were mostly dressed in Army M36 uniforms. In 1940, the SS pattern changed to an exact copy of the M36 Army style with patch pockets and dark green collar.

The M34 earth-gray uniforms were ordered to be pulled out of field service in mid-1941, but field-gray M37 patterns continued in battle until all stocks were exhausted, with some examples turning up in amazingly late war photos, especially since this blouse was no longer produced after early 1940."

regards

http://www.lostbattalions.com/german33- ... ssM37.html
http://www.lostbattalions.com/german33- ... slist.html
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Thank you Timmy872.

Now that I know what to look for I've had a closer look at pictures of LAH and SS-VT and indeed there many pictures where the M37 is worn. Specially the internally hung lower pockets are helpful in recognising the M37.
Totally new for me :D
Am a bit confused why this is not mentioned in the 30-odd books on uniforms and the SS that I have. Admittedly they are not all of good quality but even the good ones don't point this difference out :?

Thanks again!

Best regards,

Paul