Enjoying The Company of a Luftwaffe Veteran

German Veterans, vet accounts, MIA searches, KIA info, and on relatives who served.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

DennisH

Enjoying The Company of a Luftwaffe Veteran

Post by DennisH »

Attached are a couple of pictures of my friend, Hans, who turned 89 this past May. In the one he and I are celebrating his remarriage to his original spouse from 1938, this time in 2007!! Hans was a Luftwaffe Hauptmann, adjutant to a Flak Battalion commander in Flak Regiment 7. He was imprisoned at the end of the war, in the same camp with Rudel, whom he knew well, until 1947. In 1950 he came to the USA, and when he brought his wife and four children to the USA too much water had passed under the bridge, what with constant separation due to war, prison, and relocation. They subsequently each remarried, had second families, until their second spouses died. A couple years ago they reunited and remarried this past June. They are wonderful people, and both Hans and his wife, Margarete, spend a lot of time educating me to the realities of life in the Third Reich, from the perspective of a soldier and a housewife. We love speaking to each other in German, since their children speak little or no German anymore. Hans and I are toasting his wedding with "Asbach Uralt," good German brandy. I hope to spend many more hours with this fine man, learning all I can from him.

DennisH
Captain, U.S. Navy (Ret)
http://www.geocities.com/livetodive_99/ ... Hans07.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/livetodive_99/HansW.JPG
DennisH
CAPT (0-6), USN (Ret)
"Beware the Fanatic"
Uli
Enthusiast

Re: Enjoying The Company of a Luftwaffe Veteran

Post by Uli »

DennisH wrote:Attached are a couple of pictures of my friend, Hans, who turned 89 this past May. In the one he and I are celebrating his remarriage to his original spouse from 1938, this time in 2007!! Hans was a Luftwaffe Hauptmann, adjutant to a Flak Battalion commander in Flak Regiment 7. He was imprisoned at the end of the war, in the same camp with Rudel, whom he knew well, until 1947. In 1950 he came to the USA, and when he brought his wife and four children to the USA too much water had passed under the bridge, what with constant separation due to war, prison, and relocation. They subsequently each remarried, had second families, until their second spouses died. A couple years ago they reunited and remarried this past June. They are wonderful people, and both Hans and his wife, Margarete, spend a lot of time educating me to the realities of life in the Third Reich, from the perspective of a soldier and a housewife. We love speaking to each other in German, since their children speak little or no German anymore. Hans and I are toasting his wedding with "Asbach Uralt," good German brandy. I hope to spend many more hours with this fine man, learning all I can from him.

DennisH
Captain, U.S. Navy (Ret)
http://www.geocities.com/livetodive_99/ ... Hans07.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/livetodive_99/HansW.JPG
Any 89-year-old who can easily toast with Asbach is definitely a strong man! Please express my best wishes to this gentleman.

My cousin was Erwin Leibold, a Luftwaffe flier credited with 11 kills before his untimely death at age 26 in July 1942, near Rouen, France. Erwin was a member of Jagdgeschwader 26 at the time of his demise and a native of Ofterdingen, Baden-Wuerttemberg.
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Dennis,

It is always wonderful talking to veterans which I have had the opportunity to do so in the past. You are very fortunate to have a good friend. I was wondering, is it possible to expand on this forum Hans' military career?
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Dennis, that's outstanding. Not only that you are enjoying this man's company, but that you have a friend like that in close proximity.

Please relay my regards.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
DennisH

Post by DennisH »

Revellations:

Hans and I have discussed his career in bits and pieces, but I've never asked him for a chronology of where he was and what he did in one sitting. I plan on doing just that, and video taping the session with him, so that I have a written and A/V record of his life. We usually get sidetracked on some nuance, such as when he was at a 1940 Xmas party in France and was seated at a table 10ft from Hitler, or what it was like in prison camp, or how one of his officers was the son of the Asbach-Uralt distillery owner and he sent the lad on "missions" to get them their "supplies." But I will make his experiences a priority, both for myself and to share with the Forum. All in all, a very likeable gent, and since my own father died 18mos ago at the same independent living facility they reside in, someone to chat with about life in general.
DennisH
CAPT (0-6), USN (Ret)
"Beware the Fanatic"
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

That's great Dennis. I have learnt that when I have spoken to veterans in the past and asked them for a detailed career there are many holes and gaps that need to be filled. However when you talk to them about incidents like the XMAS party you mention etc they manage to fill the gaps you were looking for anyway through the conversations. I would record (if ok by Hans) every session you have with him and perhaps one day put something together. Up to you of course. Anyway I look forward to seeing updates of this post when you get the chance. Enjoy your friendship and good luck to you.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Blackie

Post by Blackie »

Good for you Captain! I am still looking for a Blackman veteran.
Hope you'll share with an old Chief.

TMC/SS
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

I see a possible memoir in the making................
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

How ineresting! They must be most treasured friends.

If you ever get around to recording, be sure to get her story as well.

Thanks for sharing your friend with us.

Brooke
chambers
Contributor

Post by chambers »

How ineresting! They must be most treasured friends.

If you ever get around to recording, be sure to get her story as well.

Thanks for sharing your friend with us.

Brooke