What are the most common second languages spoken by Germans?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

JAB42

What are the most common second languages spoken by Germans?

Post by JAB42 »

I'm assuming majority of Germans are taught English as a second language in school, but are languages like French, Dutch, Danish and Polish taught/ spoken as second languages in different regions of Germany? Or is there a second language taught universaly in all German schools? I'm gearing up for my first trip to Germany this summer so I'm just a little curious.

Regards,

JAB
charlie don't surf
Associate

Post by charlie don't surf »

My guess is first English then French or Spanish as a third language.

Best regards/ Daniel
C. Udentz

What are the most common second languages spoken by Germans.

Post by C. Udentz »

English, in order to understand Americans.

Then French. Sad but true.

Cal Udentz.
Baltasar
Enthusiast

Post by Baltasar »

I guess about half of the people over here have some basics in english, so you have a good chance to get an answer when asking for a direction or other simple stuff.

Secoundary foreign languages are frensh and spanish (frensh is more common).

Other languages are not taught (except of latin) as far as I know, but it's common to speak another language when living next to a border, especially when the dialect is much the same way. Sometimes people have relatives on the other side...
andyscr

languages

Post by andyscr »

first foreign language in school is english, after you can choose french.
also it depends in wich part of germany you go to school.
so you have the possibility to choose also dutch or russian (not really today anymore :-))
there is also courses for spanish, italian or danish.
it all depends where you live in germany :-)
andy
PanzerLeader

Post by PanzerLeader »

Maybe American tourists should learn German before going there! :!: :!:
Gewitter
Supporter

Post by Gewitter »

i'll never go to a foreign country again without knowing a language it is a pretty bad experience
Baltasar
Enthusiast

Post by Baltasar »

I helps a lot when you understand some basics like directions and know how to behave in public.
Wenn man nichts zu sagen hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten.
Somosierra
Supporter
Location: POLAND - The Land of Virtue and Valor: "Peior est bello timor ipse belli!"

Post by Somosierra »

Unfortunately, Americans (most of them) are those without knowledge of any foreign language…
APOCALYPSIS IOANNIS 21, 8:
--
Timidis autem et incredulis et exsecratis et homicidis et fornicatoribus et veneficis et idololatris et omnibus mendacibus, pars illorum erit in stagno ardenti igne et sulphure, quod est mors secunda.
Enrico Mölders
Supporter

Post by Enrico Mölders »

Hi,

first of all is English. It's teached in almost all schooltypes in Germany.

If you are visiting a higher school ( in german called Gymnasium ) than you can choose an additional second foreign language like french ( most ) or latin which many take as well , especialy all those which want to study medicine, biologie, pharmacia ... on univerity later or those which want to learn more than one other latin associated language ( spanish, italian ... )

In the eastern part of Germany many are still able to speak russian because that was there the favorite forign language for decades bevor the fall of the wall.

bye Enrico
' ... zu bedauern die Nation die Helden benötigt ! ' Berthold Brecht
ckleisch

Post by ckleisch »

On the subject of language on going to Germany. The problem is finding someone to teach it. To learn correctly its best to start in High School or earlier. Schools dont offer foreign languages unless Spanish or French at not least around here. The father of three and of German descent I wanted them to learn German. No school or college teaches it. Can't even find a tutor.
mikerock
Contributor

Post by mikerock »

Somosierra wrote:Unfortunately, Americans (most of them) are those without knowledge of any foreign language…
Not just Americans, but in most English speaking countries. I can only speak English (high school language education is useless unless in an "immersion" program) even though my family comes from Quebec and several of my family members' first language was Quebecois. I would wager to say that most British Isles born English citizens speak only English, and the same with Australia and New Zealand.

--Mike
Santiago
Supporter

Post by Santiago »

In my traves to Germay, i found that as second language they spoke english... And a lof of people, speak spanish as third language. :D
That it´s really good for me.

Bye,

[url=http://www.puntadelanza.net/Index.php]Punta de Lanza sitio de Combat Mission en Español[url]
Santiago
Supporter

Post by Santiago »

I want to say: Travels...
:oops:

[url=http://www.puntadelanza.net/Index.php]Punta de Lanza sitio de Combat Mission en Español[url]
Rudi S.
WWII Vet

Foreign languages

Post by Rudi S. »

During my highschool days in Germany (before and during WWII), to learn Latin and English was compulsary (2 and 4 years, respectively). French was an elective although 'shorthand' could be taken instead.
Rudi S.