Baltic Battlefield tourism

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
easy-v

Baltic Battlefield tourism

Post by easy-v »

Hello all!

I will be visiting the Baltics for a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone had any information on interesting WWII or historical sites to visit.

I plan on trawling Kurowski's Bridgehead Kurland for some ideas, but was wondering if someone may already know of some interesting sites in either Latvia or Lithuania.

Regards
Lacplesis
Supporter

Post by Lacplesis »

For a general Idea in Latvia look at
http://www.lacplesis.com/Latvian_Military_Visit.htm
Have fun
History is what we repeat if we don't study it.
GuyB

Post by GuyB »

If you're prepared to travel a little bit beyond Latvia/Lithuania you could visit Kaliningrad - next to Lithuania. Kaliningrad aka Koenigsberg will feature heavily in Kurowski's book, in addition to which there is also the Napoleonic battlefields of Eylau & Friedland within 40km of the city. You could also travel back down the coast and check out Gdansk/Danzig in Poland. The opening shots were fired there - notably around the Post Office by the SS Heimwehr Danzig, and there is also the Westerplatte area near the docks.
Lacplesis
Supporter

Post by Lacplesis »

If you have time , since we do not know when you are traveling, I suggest reading the book "Poland 1939" by Osprey publications ISBN 1-84176-408-6 about the German invasion of Poland which will give an understanding of the occupation of Poland and the start of WWII.
History is what we repeat if we don't study it.