Were Luftwaffe pilots/crew primarily German?

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
AJAB

Were Luftwaffe pilots/crew primarily German?

Post by AJAB »

I've noticed several countrymen from different nations flew for the RAF. I haven't come across any such information regarding the aircrews of Germany. Was the main force of the German Luftwaffe aircrews primarily German?
Beershark
Supporter

No German aircrew

Post by Beershark »

I am no expert on the subject (far from it ! ), however, despite much reading, I have never heard of any Luftwaffe aircrew being non German.
Having said that, many other countries formed a part of the Axis nations, and even the occupied ones provided some formations for the Wehrmacht ( even the British prisoners of war provided enough men to form a largeish unit ), so it is likely that some aircrew were non German.
The reason why so many non Brits participated in British military units, is largely because of our then huge Empire, plus, of course, we offered a refuge for the French, Dutch, Polish etc.etc.etc. who escaped from german occupied Europe and enlisted in British formations. And, of course, that is not to forget your own countrymen, many of whom fought with us before the US entered the war.
Another reason as to why perhaps there may well have been few non German aircrew, is that (a) the Luftwaffe were very pro Nazi- which would have excluded non Germans as possibly being unsuitable, and (b) aircrew tend to be very skilled and highlt trained men. This would have dramatically reduced the numbers of potential candidates !
Beershark
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

However, against this I'd say (guess) there was a significant percentage of at least Austrians?
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Escuadrilla Azul

Post by John Kilmartin »

If I remember correctly there were 5 Spanish Squadrons fighting on the Eastern Front as part of the Luftwaffe over the course of the war. I'm not sure whether the ground crew were Spanish or not.
Cheers,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Post by John Kilmartin »

I did a little more digging and found that 13/ JG 52 was manned by Slovaks and 15/ JG 52 was manned by Croats.
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Try and get hold of "In The Skies of Europe", by Hans-Werner Neulen (ISBN: 1 86126 326 0)

It mainly covers Air Forces allied to Germany during WWII (ARR, MKHL etc) but part III covers foreign flying personnel in the Luftwaffe.

Best Regards

Andy_F
Per Speculationem Impellor ad Intelligendum
Björn
Supporter

Post by Björn »

Hello!
There were indeed foreign pilots and crew members. Even a few Norwegians.

B.
Liam
Enthusiast

Post by Liam »

You have to bear in mind that Britain had an empire and dominions who provided many of the RAF's top flyers in both WWI and WWII. Even Americans were happy to go and fly for their 'cousins' in the UK. Germany had no such source of manpower, although it would be interesting to know how many people of German origin actually joined the Wehrmacht.
Hitler...there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!! Mel Brooks, The Producers
AJAB

Post by AJAB »

I just stumbled across a photo in a book, The Life of Adolf Galland, showing Hungarian pilots who flew in the same unit, JG52, as the Luftwaffe aerial ace Erich Hartmann. It was taken in 1944. So, apparently different countries did provide aircrews to the Luftwaffe. Thanks for the other answers.
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

Hi AJAB,

The photo you are probably referring to is of fhdgy. (Capt) László Pottyondy C/O 102/2 V.Szd with Erich Hartmann. Elements of JG 52 were based at Budaörs along with 102/2 V.Szd

Pottyondy never served with the Luftwaffe spending his whole combat career with the Magyar Királyi Honvéd Légieró (MKHL)

Best Regards

Andy_F
Andy_F
Supporter

Post by Andy_F »

John Kilmartin wrote:I did a little more digging and found that 13/ JG 52 was manned by Slovaks and 15/ JG 52 was manned by Croats.
13.(slow)/JG 52 was the Luftwaffe designation for 13.Letka. Although 13.(slow)/JG 52 was under Luftwaffe operational control it was a SVZ (Slovak Air Force) unit. It's personnel had Slowak uniforms.

15.(kroat)/JG 52 was a Luftwaffe unit, its personnel being part of HZL (Croatian Air Force Legion within the Luftwaffe) along with 10.(kroat)/KG 3 (later re-designated 15.(kroat)/KG 53). Personnel swore allegiance to Hitler and wore Luftwaffe uniforms. Many did later return to the ZNDH (Croatian Air Force).

Best Regards

Andy_F