SS Units in Normandy 20th August 1944

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Steve Smith

SS Units in Normandy 20th August 1944

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi there,

This forum, I have to say, is the best one I have found on the internet for historical info on German units. With that in mind, I have a question and I apologise if I've posted on the wrong part of the forum.

I'm a battlefield guide and military researcher and a German lady emailed me to ask a question about a relative who was killed in Normandy. She believes he was killed on the 20th August 1944 and we definitely know that he was in St Lambert around that date. We know that because there was a letter from an officer. This reads:

Einheit 16035 A
Adjudant 1.Nov. 44

Dear Mrs. Riefe,

I have the sad obligation to inform you that your husband Gefreite Martin Riefe, is missing in action since the heavy fights around Falaise.

Until then, he was in healthy condition with his unit, which had to fight on the 20. August in St. Lambert against the enemy.

In combat your husband lost contact with his comrades.

Since then he is missing in action.

All of his comrades which I asked about his whereabouts could not give me any further information.

All personal documents of his unit are lost to the enemy. So it was impossible for me to inform you earlier.

There is a possibility that your husband may be a pow.

signed

Leutnant Petsch

The soldier in question is this one.

Name: Martin Riefe born 22.3.08 in Dahmsdorf, Krs. Stormarn

Panzerfunker

16035 B

Missing: 12. 8. 1944 or 20.8.1944 St. Lambert (Falaise)

Gefr. Riefe, 3 Pz. N.E.A.81.

Can someone please confirm his unit? It notes 3 Pz, is this 3rd Panzer Division? The reason i ask is that I note on another part of the site that 3 Pz Div was in Army Group Nordukraine.

So can anyone help me pinpoint his unit, or provide me with their thoughts on the letter etc.

Many thanks,

Steve Smith
TimoWr
Enthusiast

Post by TimoWr »

The 1. SS-Panzer-Division "Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler" was in St. Lambert sur Dives on that date.
Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi there,

Can I ask if the letter denotes that he would have been part of that unit? I know which units were around that area, I'm just confused by the unit mentioned in the text of the letter.

Steve
Piet Duits
Associate

Post by Piet Duits »

According to the Feldpostnumber provided (16035), it should be the Korps-Nachrichten-Abteilung 474, being part of the LXXIV. Armeekorps.
16035 A = Stab
16035 B = 1. Kompanie
16035 C = 2. Kompanie

Although small, I hope it helps,

Piet
Nur für den Dienstgebrauch
Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith »

Piet,

That certainly does help! :D

Many thanks for your help. Is there any unit history that I can use as a reference for further research?

Steve
TimoWr
Enthusiast

Post by TimoWr »

Is "Lieutenant" your translation of an SS rank? Because you ask for SS units in Normandy and according to the Führerliste der Waffen-SS the only officer named Petsch was KIA on the Eastern Front in April 1944.

Regards,
Timo
Steve Smith

Post by Steve Smith »

Hi there,

It's not my translation, it came from the lady who emailed me, so I can't comment on that although I will ask her about as it would be good to locate him as well., if we can.

Steve
Hans Weber
Enthusiast

Post by Hans Weber »

Hello

The unit presumed to be 3rd Panzer: Actually, this is the Ersatzeinheit this Gefreite was first trained in. Possibly you cite from his Soldbuch in the lower part of your post. The unit is the Panzer Nachrichten Ersatz - und Ausbildungs Abteilung 81, stationed in Weimar. Wehrkreis (WK) IX. The Korps-Nachrichtenabteilung mentioned by Piet drew his replacements from WK IX. So there is a logic in that he ended up in the Korps-Nachrichten-Abteilung 474. This and the fact that the kind of Waffen SS units fighting in Normandy would kindly decline to admit a 36 old Panzerfunker into its ranks even if he was forced to, imho pretty much rules out any Waffen SS connection. He would be probably be among the oldest guys of the whole division.

Cheers
Hans