Different looking uniforms

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

TFlames

Different looking uniforms

Post by TFlames »

Hello -

So I've been trying to do some research into finding out what types of different looking uniforms the German army used in battle in WW2, and which battles/theaters you would find them in. So far I have the variety of the Grey field jacket for the European theater, a tan/brown field jacket for the Italian and African campaigns, Camoflauged field jackets and parka's for the Waffen SS, and the "wrap" tunic for tank units. Were there any other styles of uniform used in battle? Would there ever be German units fighting in the all black ss uniforms, or with the red arm Band? Thank you in advance for any help!
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

The field-grey fieldblouse was the standard field uniform for all branches. As you said there were tropical versions for the mediterranean and the African theater. Camouflage smocks and uniforms were worn by the Heer, Luftwaffe ground troops and the Waffen-SS.

You will never find the black SS tunic you mean on the field as these were disbanded (with exceptions) before the war.
Other uniform types you forgot are winter coats, jackets (reversible white/camo) etc...

\Christoph
TFlames

Post by TFlames »

Thanks, found all my answers here http://www.atthefront.com/g_uni.htm