The Hanko Front 13.03.1940 - 04.12.1941

Related website information, updates, questions, links, etc.
Kimmo
Supporter

The Hanko Front 13.03.1940 - 04.12.1941

Post by Kimmo »

Hello

Thought to advertise my site a bit here also, as I haven't done that earlier and just updated the site.

This presentation keeps inside a mapping of the Harparskog-line (H-position). The numbered structures in the defensive line are presented in this presentation with photographs and with text. There hasn't been any published presentation from Harparskog-line, in this form. According to my knowledge, there also haven't been similar photographic presentations from the other defensive lines, which are located in Finland. The structures which are located in Hanko Cape and in the nearby islands, have been mapped by the National Board of Antiquities and Senate Properties in the 1990's, but apparently the results of this rather limited mapping hasn't been published ever.

Like many other things in life, constructing this presentation started almost completely from an accident. In the summer of 2005, my father and I were thinking about a next possible location to go photographing. We had toured the fortifications east of Helsinki previously and now we had to find again some place to photograph. There were two options: Either the trenches from Civil War near Tampere or the "few" bunkers in Hanko Cape. As Hanko Cape is closer to Helsinki than Tampere is, we decided to go and see these "few" bunkers in Hanko Cape. While visiting the first few bunkers, neither of us could guess, that we would be spending each Saturday for the next year, in Hanko Cape or in the surrounding area, finally walking the Harparskog-line from west to east, from Vestervik area to Baggön.

http://www.hangonrintama.fi

Kimmo
~ One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry ~
Oscar Wilde
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Site looks good and nice job that you can access it in English too.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.