What is a "Seitengewehr Sabel"??

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

tracern1

What is a "Seitengewehr Sabel"??

Post by tracern1 »

I found this as a weapon issued on page 8a in a Soldbuch. The words Seitengewehr Sabel (the a in Sabel having " over it) in the first column of the page then what looks like a M in the second column then it's serial number 1g26 in the next then Date of issue in the last column 12.1.44. Thanks for any nfo on this
tracern1

I rememberd what Sietengewehr is

Post by tracern1 »

sorry about wasting the space it translated to Bayonet in english. ( I had forgotten some of my german)
Rich Yankowski
Supporter

Post by Rich Yankowski »

Seitengewehr is for a bayonet or sidearm,while saeble is a sword or sabre.So I believe the item in the Soldbuch is for a sword and not a bayonet.
tracern1

Post by tracern1 »

Thanks for the info, but I have to disagree. The reason being that the individual was not a officier or nco. And he was assigned to a construction company in the beginning of his enlistment in 39. Then he was assigned to a pioneer company in 44. and in 44 he was issued a 98k and a Seitengewehr . And in 45 he was reissued a 98k, (the first issued 98k in 44 has a red line through it). This tends to make me believe that the Seitengewehr was a bayonet and not a sword.
Rich Yankowski
Supporter

Post by Rich Yankowski »

I was going to ask if he was a NCO,but didn't think of it in time for my first post.I can agree with you that if the person wasn't an Officer or a NCO,then he probably wouldn't have been issued a sword.Plus it seemed odd that they would still be issueing swords at such a late date.
tracern1

Post by tracern1 »

I agree, also it makes you wonder that in 45 they would still even have worried about keeping a rcoerd of issued items and such seeing how bad the war was going for germany. You would think by that time the supply company would just be handing out any type of weapon they could get thier hands on and the heck with record keeping.