Looking for info on 73.Infanterie-Division

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

HauptmannJG

Looking for info on 73.Infanterie-Division

Post by HauptmannJG »

Subject says it all, looking for any and all information. Also, any good books about the 73.Infanterie Division? Thanks!
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I checked into my resources and didn't find any books on the 73rd per-say, would books with capsule listings that include the 73rd suffice? Is there anything in particular that you are searching for on this unit?
HauptmannJG

Post by HauptmannJG »

Hey Jason, the main thing I'm looking for is dates and places of battles and occupation that the 73. I-D fought in and/or held. Pictures of this division would be great! Thanks for any help you can give me.
eric

Post by eric »

There is a combined history of 4 units in one book. This book is divided into 4 sections each one describing the actions of the respective unit.

Units are :

55 inf reg of the 17 inf div
170 inf reg of the 73 inf div
521 inf reg of the 296 inf div
Sanitaets kompanie 2./173 of the 73 inf div.

The book is called "Schlesische Infanterie" by Franz Kurowski. Printed in 1970 by "Heinrich Poppinghaus Verlag" in Bochum-Langendreer.

In this book there is a reference to one other book called "Das Inf. Reg 213" written by A. Gruber. The book was printed in 1963 in Nurnberg.
HauptmannJG

Post by HauptmannJG »

Is there any online retailers that would carry this book? Is it in English or German?
eric

Post by eric »

It is in German (Schlesische Infanterie)

Theodor Walpurgius sells books like these, http://www.history-books.com/
It is where I got my copy.

He is a German guy, and has quite a collection of books which are for the better part in German.
"So geht dass nicht, Marschal"

P.Carell comments on Zhukov's response to the breakout of the 1 panzerarmy 1944.
HauptmannJG

Post by HauptmannJG »

Thanks for the link!
HauptmannJG

Post by HauptmannJG »

Also noticed, I have english versions of Infantry Aces an Panzer Aces by Kurowski. Great author, and the books are great!
Tsingtao

Post by Tsingtao »

I am also interested in the 213 Infanterie Regiment, because my father was in this unit from 1941 till the end of the war. However towards the end he was put into Grossdeuthchland. Any information would be greatly appreciated. My granfather was in the III Seebataillon and spent four years in a POW camp during the invasaion of Tsingtao by Japan in the early 1900s.
eric

Post by eric »

Kurowski's books are all good reads indeed.

Btw can you read the German language?
"So geht dass nicht, Marschal"

P.Carell comments on Zhukov's response to the breakout of the 1 panzerarmy 1944.
HauptmannJG

Post by HauptmannJG »

No, I cannot read the German language. I'd have to use an online translator to read it.
Eduard
Supporter

73 infanterie division

Post by Eduard »

Hi,

73 infanterie washastily formed and send to stop the russians in the approaches of south-east Warsaw. It was overrun by the mechanised soviets and its commander captured in few days.

Remains continued to fight around Warsaw and I guess, joined other units.

A good book, tough difficult to folow is East front drama-1944 by Rolf Hinze.

Hope this helps

Eduard
RoterBaron

Post by RoterBaron »

Since I recently discovered that a relative served in this regiment, I did some minor research and found the regimental history. The book is in German, however:

Anton Gruber: Das Infanterie-Regiment 213 (Grenadier-Regiment 70) 1939 - 1945, Nürnberg 1963.

If you need any specific info, contact me via PM. I have the book at hand.

Regards,
RoterBaron
tigre
Patron

ID 73 - "Fall Rot"

Post by tigre »

Hello folks, here goes a tiny post about the actions of the ID 73 in "Fall Rot".

The German 12 Army (stretched east and west of Rethel).

The German XIII AK (Grl von Vietinghoff) with the ID 17 and ID 21, was deployed west of Rethel, facing the French 2 ID; the German XXIII AK (Grl Schubert) with the ID 73 (General der Infanterie Bruno Bieler) and ID 86, was deployed east of Rethel facing the French 14 ID.

On jun 09 the offensive started at 03:45 with an artillery barrage that lasted 35 minutes. The german infantry jumped off at 04:20 hours, crossed the river Aisne and gained some bridge heads on the french river bank (14 ID's sector). The attack pressed forward toward Thugny-Trugny, threatening with encirclement the 31éme BCP deployed there. The french commanding officer (Grl de Lattre) ordered a counter attack under Colonel Paraire with elements of the 25ème GRDI, 2ème BCP and 9 chars R35 (3 BCC). The counter attack knocked out the German IR 170 at 13:00 hours, helping the 31éme BCP which remained at Thugny (17:00 hours); the 2éme BCP (reserve) was now deployed on its left. East of Rethel the French 14 ID held its positions and the german infantry regiments (IR 170 and IR 213, Oberst Rupprecht) suffered hight casualties.

On jun 10 the assaults were renewed but without success and the 14 ID maintained its front again.

On jun 11 the French counter attack carried out by the Groupement Buisson against the Guderian panzers ended in a failure so the French 14 ID was compeled to leave the river Aisne with the remnants of the French 2 ID. The ID 73 moved forward and resumed its advance.

Source: LA BATAILLE DE RETHEL 9-11 Juin 1940 par FFL_vonJashan.

Cheers. Tigre.
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
tigre
Patron

73 ID at Rostov - July 1942

Post by tigre »

Hello folks, any report, story dealing with the 73 I.D. (Generalmajor Rudolf von Bünau) under XXXXIX G.K. (General der Gebirgstruppe Rudolf Konrad) during its attack eastwards from the Sambek Stellung near Taganrog along the coastal highway and RR toward Rostov on July 1942?. TIA. Cheers. Tigre.

Pic source: taken from a document written in russian http://docs.vif2.ru/
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.