Info 191 Artillerie regiment Arnhem

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Ruud Wilmsen
Supporter

Info 191 Artillerie regiment Arnhem

Post by Ruud Wilmsen »

Can someone help me with the roster of 191 Art Regt during Market Garden

The unit was reconstituting in Zutphen and was towed to Arnhem by 9. SS Pz Div trucks because of lack towing vehicles on 20 sep 44.
Apperently 2 Battallions lFH 18 supported Hohenstaufen

On 060644 Oberstleutnant (LW) Heirich Kiewitt was commander of the Regiment.
Tieke (In the firestorm.. ) mentions a Hauptman Baum as Kommandeur IV./Art regt 191 (DKiG 30.12.1944)
But according to
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gli ... derung.htm
this bn never existed

Maybe someone has information on this Unit or Hauptman Baum

TIA

Ruud
JASGripen

Post by JASGripen »

You can find info in Kershaw's It Never Snows in September. From top of my head I can tell that they had paratroop's special mortars in addition to usual guns, received before transformation from the para army at the start of the fighting.

The unit also had SS-werfer unit Nickmann added, with 12 Nebelwerfers which all were undamaged after the fighting in Arnhem.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Ruud!

According to Horst Scheibert's "Die Träger des deutschen Kreuzes in Gold - Das Heer", Karl Baum recieved the DKiG on 31.12.1944 as a Hauptmann commanding IV./AR 191. So Scheibert confirms (or makes the same unit designation mistake) Tieke's note on Baum's unit being the IV./AR 191. Or maybe Tieke took this detail from Scheibert? Maybe there are other sources that confirm, or falsify this fact?

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

I gave some strength reports on another Thread re this subject.

Roger
Ruud Wilmsen
Supporter

Re 191 Art Regt

Post by Ruud Wilmsen »

Thanks to all of you

Further investigations revealed that Art Regt 191 became Artregt 344 when the remnants of 91 Inf (LL) Div were used to reconstitute the 344 Inf Div in oct 44
At least the 344 Art regt was used in the operation " Wacht am Rhein" (Battle of the Bulge) under the LXXIV.Armeekorps (General der Infanterie Carl Püchler)

Can someone provide compositon and the names of the commanders of 344 Art regt during this period?

Tia
Ruud
Scott Revell
Contributor

Re: Info 191 Artillerie regiment Arnhem

Post by Scott Revell »

Ruud,

From my research on Art Regt 191 I have a bit of information that might help. Kiewitt after the Battle of Arnhem went on to command a Artillery Group in Holland which was a mixed of Art. Btls including a Battery from the Frundsberg.

During the Battle of Arnhem Art. Regt. 191 was 2 battalions. In Normandy it was three Battalions and Baum was the commander of the III. Btl then. Just after the Battle of Arnhem the Regiment became three battalions again and it could be assumed he was the same commander. As Hauptmann Baum's file is not in NARA then it is hard to know what he received his DKiG for and what positions he held. From files in Freiburg, I have been able to confirm that he was definitely in command of III./Art. Regt. 191 in March 1944. Regarding his DKiG - as you maybe aware to receive the DKiG there were three acts of bravery etc. So it is assumed that he may have recevied the DKiG from his actions in Normandy/Arnhem/Holland...still hoping to find out about this one..but without his file.....bit hard.

I am writing a small article about the Artillery in Arnhem which provides a outline of all of the Artillery units during the Battle of Arnhem. The section on Art. Regt. 191 includes a photo of Kiewitt and the actual Order of Battle of Art. Regt. 191 during the Battle of Arnhem. Hopefully this will be published in the next couple of newsletters (Friends of the Airborne Museum) and once it has I will let you know (or you could remind me).

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

"A Bayonet has a worker at both ends"

http://www.defendingarnhem.com
Ruud Wilmsen
Supporter

Post by Ruud Wilmsen »

Scott

Thanx
Scott

According to this website
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... s#p1060440
German Cross in Gold DKiG
Baum, Karl, 30.12.1944, Hptm., IV./Art.Rgt. 191
Groh, Karl, 27.11.1944, Hptm., I./Art.Rgt. 191
So may be Karl Groh was the commander of the first Abt ?
Hope you could confirm that

Cheers mate

Ruud
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Ruud,

No mention of him in Normandy OoB in March 1944 but not saying he was not there. Will do some digging at get back to you on this one.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

There is a 191 art regt showing up in artillery gliederung from LXXXVIII corps anlagen in Oct or Nov (have to look it up).

Mad Dog
Scott Revell
Contributor

Post by Scott Revell »

Mad Dog,

I do not have the LXXXVIII corps anlagen for Oct or Nov 44...only Sept. So I would like to see what it has to say.

Cheers

Scott
Revellations

MadDog
Associate

Post by MadDog »

Scott, send me your email address. I cans end the JPEG to you.

thanks,

Tom
Ruud Wilmsen
Supporter

Post by Ruud Wilmsen »

Tom

as the starter of this thread I am interested too

Cheers
Ruud