German Room-mate

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

PaulJ
Contributor

German Room-mate

Post by PaulJ »

I have just gotten to Kabul, where I am currently serving at ISAF Headquarters, which as many of you probably know NATO has taken over responsibility for. (See their website at http://www.afnorth.nato.int/ISAF/index.htm )

Anyway, turns out I have a German room-mate here. (Germany provides a sizeable contribution to ISAF.) An excellent chap -- Bundeswehr military police. I'll have to try and post some photos of German military equipment here.

Just thought this forum would be interested in hearing about contemporary German military exploits.

Cheers,
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra
http://tactical-airpower.tripod.com
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

I for one would be very interested! Thanks for taking the time. I wonder if the (fairly) new German assault rifle in 5.56mm calibre that was to replace the G3 is used out there?

What about the current German equivalent to the US SAW or British LSW? Do they have an equivalent?

Last but not least, is the MG3 still serving?
M.H.
Patron

Post by M.H. »

Sure! :D

Take care...
Kitsune
Contributor

Post by Kitsune »

@maschinengewehr42:

The "(fairly) new German assault rifle in 5.56mm calibre that was to replace the G3 " is called G36 (made by Heckler&Koch) and has fully replaced the its predecessor by now:

Of course it is also used in Afghanistan (the one in the first picture is a variant fitted with an underbarrel grenade-launcher AG36):

And as far your question about a German equivalent to the US SAW or British LSW is concerned, there is indeed one. It is made by H&K (no surprise there) and is designated MG-4:

:wink:

Regards,

Kitsune
"Tell my mother I died for my country. I did what I thought was best."

John Wilkes Booth
April 12, 1865
Rolf Steiner
Associate

Post by Rolf Steiner »

well, whatever else, be safe out there!!
"And I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Handzar
Banned

Post by Handzar »

hahah G36 is German?

I was wondering who made that thing.
Semper Fi!!!!!
sniper1shot

Post by sniper1shot »

Keep your head down eh....I have heard they are shooting at people over there.
I have done 4x tours but not in Afghanistan.......yet.
Only he is lost who gives himself up as lost.
Jock
Associate

Post by Jock »

Yeah, take care of yourself Paul. Also, that MG-4 is sex on a bipod...it makes me feel all weak at the knee's...

*swoons*
Jock
Kitsune
Contributor

Post by Kitsune »

Hey, I had overlooked that question. :oops:

Rest assured, the MG-3 is alive and well. MG-4 notwithstanding, the MG-3 is still used. One also can see it very often as a mounted weapon on helicopters, ground vehicles and ships.
It will continue to stay around for still some time to come. :D
"Tell my mother I died for my country. I did what I thought was best."

John Wilkes Booth
April 12, 1865
VonderSaar
Supporter

Post by VonderSaar »

maschinengewehr42 wrote:I for one would be very interested! Thanks for taking the time. I wonder if the (fairly) new German assault rifle in 5.56mm calibre that was to replace the G3 is used out there?

What about the current German equivalent to the US SAW or British LSW? Do they have an equivalent?

I got the chance to hold the g36 in my hand, its unbelivable lightweight. You can mean its a toy!!
%E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E %E
maschinengewehr42
Supporter

Post by maschinengewehr42 »

Kitsune, thanks for the information. Now I know the designation of the G36 and MG4 I can research them a bit. Sorry for the late reply; I've been busy.
PaulJ
Contributor

Post by PaulJ »

Sorry for lack of posts ... busy.

Last night, however, I had a chance to sit down at the end of the day and enjoy a good (German) beer at the German tent. A couple of them just got promoted and they had bought free rounds. I sat there practicing my (rudimentary) German with my room-mate and one of my colleagues from "the office", who is a General Staff officer. Interesting point about that -- they still use "wine red" stripes to mark General Staff corps officers. Or at least, its sort of wine red. Maybe more scarlet. Of course, its not a stripe down the outside of the leg anymore either, its a very discrete, thin, stripe across the end of the epaulet.

If I can figure out how to post photos I'll try and post some of German paraphenalia here, uniforms, wpns, vehicles.

Cheers,
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra
PaulJ
Contributor

Post by PaulJ »

All right, I'm trying out this image posting thing.

Above is a shot of the interior of the ISAF HQ compound. On the left are two (visiting) German staff officers (note the one carrying a briefcase). On the right are some German troops from the security element waiting infront of their vehicles.

This is a shot of the outer part of the German beer tent. (My room-mate's back can just be seen on the far right.)
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra
PaulJ
Contributor

Post by PaulJ »

That seems to have worked. (Finally.)
Okay, I will have to add some more.
Wait out.
Paul Johnston
Per Ardua ad Astra