Resist!

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

The Chief
Supporter

Resist!

Post by The Chief »

What cities or areas were still holding out against the allies atthe time of V-E Day. I know Norway was still occupied, along with parts of Austria, na dCroatia surrendered late. However I've also heard things that there was still resistance in Brittany, and other small pockets. Any insight?
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

Several french ports were still in German hands. Crete was still occupied, as well as a few other Agean islands. Norway (and some artic islands) was occupied by Germany, parts of German and Austria were still under German control.
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

The Diehard, May 1945

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Hello Gentlemen.
After a tragi-comical "To be or not to be" vicissitude since 29 April 1945 (signature of the German surrender at Caserta) until 4 a.m 2 May 1945 (counter- counter- counter coups by Marshall Kesserling and generals Schulz, Herr, Lemelsen, Rottiger and Ss obergruppenfhurer Wolff) the German Armee Group "C" and the 2nd Panzer Army surrendered to the Allies.
After this armistice (Germany had been cut in two at Torgau on 25 April 1945) Trieste, Gorizia, Fiume and Pola were still in Italian hands. The first two towns were occupied by Tito Yugoslavian partisans (with British tanks and heavy weapons lend lease material send during the last winter) that very 2 of May after to have obtained the poroof that the German were no more shooting; the last, local small Italian companies of the Repubblica Sociale Italiana were submerged and slaughtered before night. Fiume held out, in the same circumstances, until 4 May and Pola 6 May. On the French front, after the German surrender and the subsequent French Alpine army advance in the now empy, wide sectors of that line, the Paratroopers Reggimento Folgore of the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana (RSI air force) hold Saint Vincent, in val d'Aosta, until 4 May 1945 when surrender to the U.S. Army troops, coming from the plain, with the Military honours. On 29 April 1945, at Padova, the same cerimony was granted, at 01.00 a.m. by the the British 6 Arm. Div. and NZ 2nd Div to the I Gruppo da Combattimento Fanteria di Marina of the X MAS (Battalions Barbarigo, Lupo, N.P., combat sappers co. Freccia and Colleoni battery).
Small details of a long war.
Bye EC
Henrik Krog
Contributor

Re: Resist!

Post by Henrik Krog »

The Germans also still held parts of Great Britain (the Channel Islands). In fact, a company of German troops were simply forgotten on a small island. They had no means of transport themselves, and apparently no radio. They had to wait to surrender until after 20/5 1945, when they caught the attention of a French fishing boat and were taken back to the mainland.

Denmark was, of course also still occupied, as was Holland, the central part of the Netherlands.

Henrik
The Chief wrote:What cities or areas were still holding out against the allies atthe time of V-E Day. I know Norway was still occupied, along with parts of Austria, na dCroatia surrendered late. However I've also heard things that there was still resistance in Brittany, and other small pockets. Any insight?
karltrowitz
Supporter

Post by karltrowitz »

I think the Germans had a weather station at Spitzbergen that did'nt surrender until after May 1945.
coldam

Post by coldam »

hi
Large part of Bohemia and Moravia
- Armeegruppe Mitte under Schoerner were still fighting,

U-boats were still at sea
Can you imagine reactions
when
two German U-Boats
- independent of each other
signalled
their intention to surrender