Best War Movie Comedy?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

L. Kafka
Enthusiast

Best War Movie Comedy?

Post by L. Kafka »

One nominee comes to mind, a '60s movie that starred Dick Shawn in Daddy, What Did You Do In the War?

The Paul Newman movie The Secret War of Henry Frigg was on the light side but enjoyable.

See Vietnam segment in American Grafitti II. Reluctant chopper crewman is a laugh.

The Siege of Fire Base Gloria. Possibly the worst war movie ever made, but it has some moments with F. Lee Ermey typical lifer sergeant lines. Anyone recall the bunker scene where the U.S. Army captain is getting smoked up on dope while surrounded by Playboy centerfold photos and invokes von Klauswitz?
Lupo Solitario
Contributor

Post by Lupo Solitario »

I've always loved an italo-british movie of 1961 (IIRC) "The best of enemies" of G. Hamilton starring D. Niven and A. Sordi on 1941 ethioipian campaign.....exilarant every time I see it! The scene of italians escaping by besieged fort is at the top :D
L. Kafka
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention 'Mediterraneo'

Post by L. Kafka »

Good solid romantic comedy about Italo soldiers isolated on a Greek island during WWII.

Also, 'Seven Beauties.' Not exactly a war comedy, but one of my favorites of all time from Lena Wurtmuller.