Lord Dacre is dead.

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Richard Murphy
Supporter

Lord Dacre is dead.

Post by Richard Murphy »

Lord Dacre, better known as Hugh Trevor Roper, has died after a long battle with cancer;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2696001.stm

Sad news from the Park,

Rich
heinz kling

Was he missed at all?

Post by heinz kling »

He had done no original researches, was always drawing on and profiting from secondary sources, was given the Regius Professorship because of his freindship with MacMillan (the chair shopuld have gone to A.J.P. Taylor, arguably the best, if opiniated historian of his times), pretended to be a German expert yet speaking no German, and made a fool, and Oxford also, of himself in the Hitler Diaries fiasco.

Surely I am not going to miss his works.
Jez
Associate

Post by Jez »

Hey, Richard...

I dont think Mr Kling will be missing Lord Dacre 'from the Memel'!

Regards, Jez.
Richard Murphy
Supporter

Post by Richard Murphy »

Jez,

I have to admit being a little bit taken aback by the vehemence of Mr. Kling's words!

Personally, though there have been better historians, I feel Prof. Trevor-Roper's works laid a great deal of the foundations that latter day experts have built upon.

One little note to do with the Last Days of Hitler. He mentions that von Below (H.'s Luftwaffe adjutant) was on a "secret mission" to bring a postscript of his will to Keitel during the final days of the war (Pages 222-226 of the 1965 Pan edition.). In his memoirs, von Below's tranlator notes that he was winding Trevor-Roper up, because of the way he had been treated after his capture!

Regards from the Park,

Rich
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

Hienz,

Perhaps it is diffrent in Memel, but in most civilized society, it is not considered polite to speak ill of the recently deceased. Disrespect the man's work if you must, but consideration for his family's loss should also be expressed.

from the 'burgh.

Sam
heinz kling

No disrespect meant to the deceased

Post by heinz kling »

I am just not thrilled by his works, he's more a politician than a serious historian.
Richard Murphy
Supporter

Re: No disrespect meant to the deceased

Post by Richard Murphy »

heinz kling wrote:I am just not thrilled by his works, he's more a politician than a serious historian.
Care to back that up? How was he more political than military (I'll refrain from asking you to define what a "serious" historian is, for now.)?

Regards from the Park,

Rich
heinz kling

Well, self promoter is the word

Post by heinz kling »

Can you cite anything from HTR that breaks any ground?