Army organisation

Book discussion and reviews related to the German military.

Moderator: sniper1shot

OMK

Army organisation

Post by OMK »

After a good search I'm unsuccessfull in finding any books describing the organisation of various levels of the army (i.e. how many men in a division, what equipment, what sub-groups, what level rank comanded the various sub-groups). Can anyone provide me with the name of a book (is such a book exists) describing these things, maybe even comparing the major players in the war as well as describing the development of organisation throughout the war.

Sorry if this is an already debated theme, but as i said the search function failed to turn up anything.

OMK
donwhite
Contributor

Some Books

Post by donwhite »

Try "Hitler's Army:Structure and Evolution of German forces 1933-1945" by the editors of 'Command' Magazine or 'The German Army Handbook'. There are several versions of the latter. One is by James Lucas and another if by a gentleman name Buchner. His first name escapes me. You should be able to find the first & posibly the 2nd title on Amazon.com

Cheers
Michate
Contributor

Post by Michate »

If you can read German, Alex Buchner's "Handbuch der deutschen Infanteridivisionen" might be helpful, or Müller-Hillebrand's "Das Heer" (which is unfortunately difficult to access).
Spandau
Contributor

Post by Spandau »

Avete,

The German Army Handbook by James Lucas possesses diagrams and explanations regarding organization, but it is lacking in comparisons.

Valete,

-Spandau
If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze into you.
Christian
Patron

Post by Christian »

This might be of help:
http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/tme30/

Christian
Nibelung
Patron

Post by Nibelung »

The German High Command has been particularly successful in placing the various types of men where they best fit, and in selecting those to serve as cannon fodder, who are told to hold out to the last man, while every effort is made to preserve the elite units, which now are almost entirely part of the Waffen-SS. The German soldier in these units is in a preferred category and is the backbone of the German Armed Forces. He is pledged never to surrender and has no moral code except allegiance to his organization. There is no limit to his ruthlessness.
:shock:

You must be serious! :shock:

from: http://www.lonesentry.com/manuals/tme30/ch1sec2.html

best,
Nibelung
There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people. - Heinz Guderian
-- Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago. --
OMK

Post by OMK »

Thank you ever so much for your help in suggesting books and other sources so far. I realise I have a lot to read.....

OMK
VioletMan

Post by VioletMan »

really? :)
Always yours, VioletMan