Christian Tychsen

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
behblc
Associate

Christian Tychsen

Post by behblc »

Was Christian Tychsen killed outright or did he die of wounds in a Field Hospital ?
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

IIRC, he was killed outright, and buried near where he fell. That's just off the top of my head, though. I don't have the reference I need for it here at work.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
behblc
Associate

Conflicting tales.

Post by behblc »

Tom , I have read conflicting tales.
1. That he died on the spot and his body and clothing was subject to being the attentions of soldiers hunting for trophies and as a result his identity was lost for many years.
2. He died of wounds in a field hospital / following capture , being fatally wounded.

I would like to know exactly what did happen Christian Tychsen who seems to have been an outstanding soldier and a very brave man .

Is it true that his uniform jacket was discovered in recent years in America ?
" Life , to be sure is nothing much to loose ; But young men think it is , and we were young . "
A.E. Housman.

" The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori. " Wilfred Owen (M.C.).
Dan Reinbold

Re: Conflicting tales.

Post by Dan Reinbold »

behblc wrote:Tom , I have read conflicting tales.
1. That he died on the spot and his body and clothing was subject to being the attentions of soldiers hunting for trophies and as a result his identity was lost for many years.
2. He died of wounds in a field hospital / following capture , being fatally wounded.

I would like to know exactly what did happen Christian Tychsen who seems to have been an outstanding soldier and a very brave man .

Is it true that his uniform jacket was discovered in recent years in America ?
For an excellent account of Tychsen's death see Mark Bando's book "Breakout at Normandy - The 2nd Armored Division in the Land of the Dead".

Bando has in his possession several pieces of Tychsen's uniform and his sidearm. According to Bando he died on the spot of the ambush and was buried on the of the road...he was later identified (by his dental work) and relocated to a German Military cemetary in France.
Das Reich Homepage
http://www.dasreich.ca