10 Panzer Division Sidi Bou Zid 14th/15th Feb 43

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

BobM
Supporter

10 Panzer Division Sidi Bou Zid 14th/15th Feb 43

Post by BobM »

Gents

Can anyone tell me where the sub-units of the 10th division were deployed around Sidi bou Zid on these dates please? If tank strengths are available that would be of interest too.

Sames for 21st Panzer.

Thanks

Bob Mackenzie
nmao

Post by nmao »

Hello!
I think i have that data somewhere but i can´t find it.
But at the following site there are the war diares for dak, and most of the divisions involved, along with other original materials.
I believe there are several references to operational tanks, etc.

Here is the link:
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/Staff- ... serine.htm

-Nuno Oliveira
BobM
Supporter

Post by BobM »

That is an excellent site, however unless I missed it doesn't have any German sources for srengths during the combat agains Combat Command C. US sources say 30 tanks north (10 Pz) and 30 tanks south (21Pz) but such battlefield estimates are notoriously inaccurate

Cheers

Bob
Alex Newman

Post by Alex Newman »

I believe the Official U.S. history of the North African Campaign has a fair account of German Strength. I recall some thing like 110 medium tanks in the 10th, with a 50/50 split between PzKpWg III's & IV's, and 12-15 Mk VI's Tigers; 90 tanks in the 21st with a 50/50 split between III's & IV's. The 21st split into two Kampfgruppes with 45 tanks in each and opened with a double pronged attack. The KG comming directly out of the east with the sun behind them, at a speed that would not create a dust cloud. Closest thing to stealth technology for the times. I have forgetten the rest of the initial set up. But look up the U.S. Army history. Good detail and lots of unit by unit material. Photo's, maps, detail to logistics, TOE, etc. 8)

Alex Newman